may have screwed up installation of windows in paralells how to fix?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sossity, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Sossity, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have asked in the apple forums about the weird icon behavior I have been experiencing with my 2 virtual machines of 64 bit windows 7 pro & 32 bit windows xp pro, I have asked about it here as well.

In apple, someone suggested that I may have installed the windows xp pro on the same hard drive partition as windows 7 pro I installed before. They said the 2 virtual machines & software on them should not be interacting at all. How do I check if this has happened?

I went along with parallels steps, to install, & all seemed to go ok.

If I have installed the xp windows on the same partition as the windows 7 I installed earlier, how do I fix it? I dont want to bring my mac down with this, I want to fix any problems.

will this screw up my mac? will mac os work?

2. Sossity, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bumping this thread, I did a little more experimenting & found the same apps that have working desktop icons in windows xp pro & not in windows 7 pro will launch when I click on them in the start menu in windows 7 pro.

One of the apps I tried launching in windows xp, made it shut down & restart, saying there was a fatal system error. But when it restarted, everything was fine, so I may uninstall the offending app.

Someone also suggested that it may be paralells & that I should try the 6.0 upgrade. They asked where I pointed to during installation of windows xp pro after I had installed windows 7 pro, & I had it go to macintosh HD.