May I use a ThinkPad T60 as Mac mini secondary monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mikezang, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mikezang macrumors 6502a

mikezang

I have a Mac mini 2009 late, ThinkPad T60 and some else laptops, at the moment, I use VNC to connect to Mac mini from T60, in this way, I can only view the same contents as TV monitor, I just want to know if I can use my T60 as secondary monitor of Mac mini, in other words, how can I set mac mini to use two monitor with TV monitor and Laptop monitor?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There are some software solutions that'll do that, but you'd need a separate keyboard & mouse connected directly to the Mini. I'm not aware of a way to get a separate display on the laptop and keep the VNC connection. Some possible software names, I haven't checked to see which support Windows but this should get you in the right direction: Air Display, Wi Display, Mirror Display

3. getrealbro macrumors 6502

I’m not sure this will help you but….

You can use VNC to login to multiple accounts on the Mini. For example, I use VNC logged into a 2nd account on our iMac, while my wife uses her account on the iMac for other things.

On your Mini, one account can be displaying video on an attached TV/monitor, while another account is being used for web browsing, etc..

GetRealBro

4. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikezang

Really? this is a good idea, I will try it tonight.

5. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikezang

I tried to use other ID to login in VNC, but failed, can you tell me more detail process?

6. getrealbro macrumors 6502

You need 2 user accounts (preferably both with admin privileges) on your Mini. Turn on Screen Sharing in System Preferences>Sharing.

It is best if you login to both accounts on your Mini using the keyboard, mouse/trackpad and monitor that is “attached” to the Mini. This establishes the screen size that you will see when you login remotely via VNC. After logging into the 2nd account, switch back the the primary account. Then you can login to the 2nd account remotely using VNC.

Note: VNC runs a little faster if the Desktop of the 2nd account is a simple single color.

GetRealBro