May sound weird, but is it possible to connect a ps3 controller to use for OS nav?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sheetrock321, Jun 28, 2013.

1. sheetrock321 macrumors member

sheetrock321

Apparently you can connect a ps3 controller to a macbook pro to play games (I tried for an hour, no luck, and I thought I was savvy).

But is it possible to link it so you can control the mouse cursor? Or is there some ps3 knockoff controller that would allow this? I would try even harder if I knew this was possible.

Sometimes I think I would prefer to navigate my operating system, on my 42" tv (mini hdmi adapter), with a controller.

Thanks!

2. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

I'm not sure about the physical connection (USB? Bluetooth?), but assuming you have that part straightened out, I am a big fan of the Controllermate software, which lets you map any HID hardware to any Mac system inputs with great flexibility. So you could very easily use the PS3 controller (or any generic controller) to control the mouse, keystrokes, expose/mission control, etc.

3. sheetrock321 thread starter macrumors member

sheetrock321

ok cool, I will definitely check that out when I'm a little more caffeinated.

4. sheetrock321 thread starter macrumors member

sheetrock321

Thanks alka, I downloaded it and got it to work. Finally! And I've only programmed some basic buttons. I'd like to get some kind of acceleration going on because the tracking speed has to go pretty slow to be accurate with a ps3 controller.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the tip!