Maybe Americans Really Are Exceptional?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Feb 28, 2013.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

I thought this article was pretty interesting.

tldr: Americans perceive realty different than others, even in the Western world. Scroll to bottom for discussion.

Uh... OOPS

That's what happens when you try and reject science and rationality for postmodern crap ^^^^^^

*cough* Afghanistan *cough*

Link here

So yeah. Now before our friends who aren't American waltz in here with "no you're just like meeeee" stuff, take a minute to read the article (which is quite long) and understand that this isn't a judgment, but an observation.

I found it particularly interesting that these "social scientists" had made such an absurd assumption, that people all over the world were the same" just because we have the same hardware.

So I would expect more to come of this, and similar studies, and I think we'll find that everybody in the world is a bit weird/

----------

Also pretty interesting:

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Now if we could just get the average US citizen to not assume the rest of the world thinks like us and aspires to our values, perhaps we could better view the world through others' eyes and seem less arrogant in our foreign policy.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well that goes both ways too.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Never said it didn't.
    Bias is univeral. What isn't universal is its recognition.

5. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Sure, but you also singled out the US in that assumption.

The nonrecognition of that bias varies from country to country as well, state to state even.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Hey, I didn't start the discussion with the US perspective. My "assumption" (and that is the incorrect word for my statement) is ONLY a comment concerning the U.S. It in no way makes any implication that others are free from the same errors in judgement we make. But jumping to inferences never implied is also a dangerous trend in the discourse in the U.S. nowdays. ;)

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

C'mon. Everywhere you call now has a "Press 2 for Spanish" option. How much more inviting do we need to be?

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

America is indeed inviting. I, an American, live in a foreign country where I'd kill to have a "Press 2 for English" option. How about your average government forms/tax bills/electric bill/drivers test/hospital forms in an English version? OMG, you have so many options in the US. Americans are ridiculously inviting compared to most.

9. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

All I said was that it goes both ways. No need to get defensive unless you're trying to imply it's a uniquely American problem

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is old news. Most psychological and brain research in humans is performed using availability samples, and since the West tends to fund most research, that usually means WEIRD (Western educated industrialized rich democratic) participants. Most researchers in psychology and neuroscience are aware of this bias, but are powerless to do anything about it. The problem is that many cultural anthropologists, who should be leading the charge in testing whether certain findings are universal or not, are too busy contemplating their post-modernistic navels and rejecting the scientific method.