Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KFredje

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Hey

As said in another topic, I'm going to Canada and I'm buying there an rMBP which will turn out to be about 700-900€ cheaper than in Belgium (just cause the $ is so high). Now I was thinking, right now I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's starting to bother me. Battery is draining fast and no matter what, it keeps doing it.

So I'm looking to buy an iPhone. I heard new models come out September-October and I'm getting my rMBP in August. Is it worth to buy a 200€ cheaper iPhone 5 instead of a full priced iPhone 5S?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
So I'm looking to buy an iPhone. I heard new models come out September-October and I'm getting my rMBP in August. Is it worth to buy a 200€ cheaper iPhone 5 instead of a full priced iPhone 5S?

It depends. Do you really want a iPhone that bad? Or can your S2 hold up until the 5S comes out?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hey

As said in another topic, I'm going to Canada and I'm buying there an rMBP which will turn out to be about 700-900€ cheaper than in Belgium (just cause the $ is so high). Now I was thinking, right now I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's starting to bother me. Battery is draining fast and no matter what, it keeps doing it.

Don't forget the TVA/BTW (21 %) that might be slapped on at customs at Zaventem...

sick z33

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2008
iPhone 5 is a great phone. The iPhone 5s or 6 or whatever they decide to call it will probably be minor changes. Go scoop one up :D

KFredje

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2013
I can wait to buy a new phone, but I won't be able to get a 200€ discount on it. And they won't do bag controls in Zaventem I think, they rather do it in America JFK.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I can wait to buy a new phone, but I won't be able to get a 200€ discount on it. And they won't do bag controls in Zaventem I think, they rather do it in America JFK.

Well, the iPhone 5S/6 will be a better phone than the iPhone 5, so it's up to how badly you want to make the 200€ saving.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Couldn't you buy an iPhone 5 now, and then sell it in Belgium when the new iPhone comes out? If an iPhone in Belgium is 699 euros, surely you'd be able to sell it used for 599 euros or so? Then put that money towards the new iPhone.

Considering the money you'd be saving by buying the 5 in Canada, you'd still be saving around 100 euros in the end.

KFredje

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Prices in Canada and Belgium are the same, 650$ or 650€, thing is that 650$ is only about 450-500€.

Second, taking the box from Canada to Belgium is kinda risqy cause of customs so I'm not sure what an iPhone 5 sells for without box (I don't know what's all in it but if there is any AC power plug, it will be Canadian too). iPhones in Belgium (16gb, 650€) sell here for 550-600€, don't know what it will be when the 5S comes out so I'm kind of not sure yet what to do.

I'm making 700€ profit on the rMBP in Canada if everything goes right and customs and so, so I might use that money to buy the 5S?

Yet again, difference between performance for the regular and S version ain't that much I heard so what "big" benefit would I have of buying a 5S for (32Gb) 750€ in Belgium or the 5 (32Gb) for about 500-600€?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I think it's plain silly to buy a 5 just before the 5S is released, if you can wait. And the difference in terms of ore stands have never been "small" or "minor".

Don't be cheap ;)

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
i can't wait for 5S!

Have an S3 atm, sick of Android!

Been away from Apple for 2 years, want back, and regret that i left, when i saw iOS 7 :) Have all the new features that i missed in iOS 4/5.

KFredje

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2013
200€ is a lot for me since I'm still a student.

@j0han: I started out with the 1st gen iPod touch. Bought an S2 cause I didn't had the money for an iPhone. I know what you feel but I'm happy about android too. iOS7 looks a lot like android imo

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
200€ is a lot for me since I'm still a student.

@j0han: I started out with the 1st gen iPod touch. Bought an S2 cause I didn't had the money for an iPhone. I know what you feel but I'm happy about android too. iOS7 looks a lot like android imo

I like the S3, but the OS is so buggy, choppy, laggy time to time, and apps are lacking.. Some apps are really good and some apps are dying, crashing, cause battery drain as hell.

So 5S will come August/September as always? :)

KFredje

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2013
I like the S3, but the OS is so buggy, choppy, laggy time to time, and apps are lacking.. Some apps are really good and some apps are dying, crashing, cause battery drain as hell.

So 5S will come August/September as always? :)
I agree with you. Samsung can do better imo. Guess I'll hope for a 5S release beginning August, then I buy it instore in Canada instead of online :p

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Yet again, difference between performance for the regular and S version ain't that much I heard so what "big" benefit would I have of buying a 5S for (32Gb) 750€ in Belgium or the 5 (32Gb) for about 500-600€?

All of the 'S' versions have introduced much faster processors, better cameras and more. Also, it'll be supported for 1 year longer than the iPhone.

It may look the same as the iPhone 5, but the insides will be totally different.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
not sure if the price you provided was tax included. if so, you could even save more by getting GST refund.

nevertheless, don't forget to get the tax refund when you leave Canada.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/visitors/

opps, looks like they don't provide GST refund for this kinda things anymore..

Last edited:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Just make sure in Canada the iPhone is unlocked. As I know someone who had a Canadian iPhone and was told he can only get it unlocked by the Canadian network Rodgers I think they are called. But this person was in the UK. So it would be a matter of going back to Canada to get it unlocked or selling it ok eBay and buying a local iphone.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Hey

You could trade in your Galaxy S2 and then get the extra dough to top up for the 5S. I don't know about your carrier, but some carriers do allow trade ins for phones to top up for new upgrades.

And by the way, just to let you know, battery problems for Galaxy S2 users is literally a universal problem. Almost all my friends and family around me who had it before has said it before. Whats the point of having a removable and replaceable battery when half the time people aren't too smart enough to get themselves one? (I talking about the typical, casual user)

KFredje

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2013
Just make sure in Canada the iPhone is unlocked. As I know someone who had a Canadian iPhone and was told he can only get it unlocked by the Canadian network Rodgers I think they are called. But this person was in the UK. So it would be a matter of going back to Canada to get it unlocked or selling it ok eBay and buying a local iphone.
On the apply store you can choose to have a simlock free phone so I assume it's worldwide and no matter what carrier you are with?
You could trade in your Galaxy S2 and then get the extra dough to top up for the 5S. I don't know about your carrier, but some carriers do allow trade ins for phones to top up for new upgrades.

And by the way, just to let you know, battery problems for Galaxy S2 users is literally a universal problem. Almost all my friends and family around me who had it before has said it before. Whats the point of having a removable and replaceable battery when half the time people aren't too smart enough to get themselves one? (I talking about the typical, casual user)
Good point, I might look into trading my S2 in and see what I can get for it. On the part of removable battery, I don't think a battery should lose it performance after only 1 year...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.