maybe I am an idiot but the noise on the d7000?? BAD!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by flosseR, Jun 11, 2011.

1. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Ok, I just actually noticed this in a very high contrast shooting. Look at the two screen grabs. One is aperture's normal output with no real processing, the other is the same image with Topaz Fusion denoise. The straight from Camera shot is REALLY noisy.. why?

This was shot at f9, ISO 320,1/2000sec, 24mm with the Nikon 24-70. Viewed at 100% in Aperture 3.

What the hell is going on? ISO 320 should not be like this...

Attached Files:

2. dcains macrumors regular

Can't tell you much w/o seeing the histogram, but the easiest way to get a noisy image is to under-expose.

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

I see a lot of noise on my iPhone when shooting sky photos, too. I think the very bright spot of the sky leads to a lot of noise in the darker areas even with a low ISO setting.

4. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Was the shot severely underexposed and brought back towards a normal exposure in post ? That's a sure bet for digital noise.

5. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Hi, no sorry the shot was shot with -1EV and left there.

6. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

It may have to do with your choice of a fractional ISO (ISO 320). I've heard different schools of thought on this, but apparently most cameras only support the full-stop ISO settings, and the fractional ones (e.g. 125, 160, 250, 320) are created by software pushing and pulling when shooting raw. Using them can increase noise, reduce dynamic range, and cause clipping. So they say.

7. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Thanks Phrasikleia, that is an interesting train of thought.. will have to try this actually by shooting the same subject in different fractual and full stop ISO.. with the weather here going nuts, I should be able to do this. (+31C in mid june is unheard of this far up north!!)

Thanks again to all replier, will keep you posted.

//F

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Weird, my D7000 doesn't do that (unless you've forgotten a 0 in your ISO level ;)).

9. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

haha.. no.. defintely 320.. 3200 in that lightlevel would have been a BIT bright...