Maybe its me, but I don't see the point in foldable phones?

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
To me, foldable phones (while i'll admit is EXTREMELY cool), seems to solving a problem that doesn't exist. We have a hard enough time now keeping up with resolution for apps and such (Example: iPad Pro Apps, still many haven't updated to the new size specs). I can only imagine the head ache with dealing with apps that shows one way in normal mode, another way in folding mode. Again, while cool, I see these phone becoming a bust area in the app field.

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
I would not judge the technology based on the first few entries you see to the market which are almost certain to be unpolished. In the long run, a device that is similar in size to a current iPhone when folded, and similar in size to a small tablet when unfolded would be potentially very interesting. It will just take longer than people may expect to get there.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I can see your point there. I guess to me is that there seems to be a rush to get a foldable device to the masses (Rumors have it that we may see Samsung introduce one this year). Whomever introduces these phones better have REAL apps that support its folding features and can showcase its potential. I don't know, but a simple resizable web browser might not be enough to get people and developers onboard.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well, I loved the old clam phone design, and while I mourn the demise of the iPhone SE, I would dearly love it, were Apple to produce a clam phone; however, I assume that I am very much in a minority.
I loved my plum-colored LG CU-515 back in the day but I think the rush now is to try to make a folding tablet experience out of a smaller form factor.

To me, foldable phones (while i'll admit is EXTREMELY cool), seems to solving a problem that doesn't exist. We have a hard enough time now keeping up with resolution for apps and such (Example: iPad Pro Apps, still many haven't updated to the new size specs). I can only imagine the head ache with dealing with apps that shows one way in normal mode, another way in folding mode. Again, while cool, I see these phone becoming a bust area in the app field.
LOL the problem and its proposed "folding phone" solution might well have arisen as more of a guy thing... in the meanwhile, the solution for women who like smaller phones has been to have an SE in a pocket anytime, and just take an iPad mini along for the ride in a handbag when that's convenient. But it doesn't look like Apple sees that as a sustainable option for everyone, since the SE and iPad mini have both seemed headed for vintage status sooner than I might have thought. I suppose a folding phone could be the path forward. I do wonder about app developers though, they must get tired of having to accommodate so many hardware formats.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I loved my plum-colored LG CU-515 back in the day but I think the rush now is to try to make a folding tablet experience out of a smaller form factor.

LOL the problem and its proposed "folding phone" solution might well have arisen as more of a guy thing... in the meanwhile, the solution for women who like smaller phones has been to have an SE in a pocket anytime, and just take an iPad mini along for the ride in a handbag when that's convenient. But it doesn't look like Apple sees that as a sustainable option for everyone, since the SE and iPad mini have both seemed headed for vintage status sooner than I might have thought. I suppose a folding phone could be the path forward. I do wonder about app developers though, they must get tired of having to accommodate so many hardware formats.
Personally, I detest these "phablet" things, and I have always liked smaller phones.

My belated switch to a smart phone only took place a little less than year ago, when I succumbed and exchanged my trusty old Nokia 3510 for an iPhone SE. That fits easily into a coat, or jacket, or trouser pocket, and slides easily enough into a briefcase.

I most certainly don't want anything larger.

For that matter, if I need a screen, (and a proper keyboard - I detest the touch screen controls even though my fingers are small), I have a MBA, and, for music, I have an iPod Touch, and an A&K SP1000.

Last edited:

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
It would be unconformable in your back pocket if you sat down. Perhaps these folder-able phone are more designed-like to be kept out in the open? Just makes it more easier to snatch, and i guess being a new tech, people will wanna go for it more than iPhone.

The only thing about them is that their eye-candly. Everyone will want one, Everyone will stare at it for hours on end.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I don't care about foreheads, chins, touch unlock and haptic feedback let alone seeing another folding phone again.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Don't think of it as a folding phone, think of it as a folding tablet. A tablet that fits in your pocket, so you actually take it out of the house.

What we've seen so far isn't very good, but these are all prototypes, not even first gen devices, which you should generally avoid.

Wait a few years, and when you have a device like they use in Westworld, you'll be wondering why we ever had separate phones and tablets.

Reactions: AngerDanger

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Well the "original folding phone" did at least preclude the option of butt-dialing one's mother in law at some inconvenient moment.
I haven't setup any quick dial ever since I stopped buying flip phones. Also, while I can't speak for other Androids, Samsung's phones turn off the display when the sensor sees that there's too close a proximity between the phone and face or body. Bright side is it's easier to setup custom ringtones for specific individuals so you don't need to look at who's calling to see who it is.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Best Phone I Ever Had:
Palm Treo650 (circa 2005-2006)

The thing was indestructible too. That survived a ton of water from swim practice back when I was in high school.

I don't yet see the practicality in the foldable phones- especially if they don't fold flat. But who knows where the technology will go.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'm sure developers will eventually adapt to the new form factor if it ends up being a hit.

Beyond that, I might want my email client open in one half of the screen, and a browser or Messages in the other half. Even Yelp on one side, and OpenTable or something in the other. Lots of cool things you could do with a folding screen, without having to carry around a big device.

scubachap

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Go back to first principles - if you want to carry something in a pocket and it's possible to do so you fold it. Wallets, paper in all forms (tickets, maps, instructions etc etc), pen knives, car keys that fold in etc etc

The idea that the form factor of gadget you're mean't to carry in your pocket should be a heavy and completely inflexible smooth and slippery slab of glass and metal that is so big it sticks out the top of your pocket and makes it awkward to sit down is in my opinion daft really. We put up with it because the advantages of the device outweigh the annoyances but things will change.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
It would be unconformable in your back pocket if you sat down. Perhaps these folder-able phone are more designed-like to be kept out in the open? Just makes it more easier to snatch, and i guess being a new tech, people will wanna go for it more than iPhone.

The only thing about them is that their eye-candly. Everyone will want one, Everyone will stare at it for hours on end.
Not eye-candy so much as convenience.

Anyway, I know of nobody who ever put a clam-phone in their back pocket; breast pocket of a jacket (which is where I often had mine), front pocket of trousers, side pocket of a jacket or coat. Easy to reach and retrieve, and easy to stow away when not needed.

I don't care about foreheads, chins, touch unlock and haptic feedback let alone seeing another folding phone again.
I daresay.

Not a fan of wet cell wireless batteries, myself.

Go back to first principles - if you want to carry something in a pocket and it's possible to do so you fold it. Wallets, paper in all forms (tickets, maps, instructions etc etc), pen knives, car keys that fold in etc etc

The idea that the form factor of gadget you're mean't to carry in your pocket should be a heavy and completely inflexible smooth and slippery slab of glass and metal that is so big it sticks out the top of your pocket and makes it awkward to sit down is in my opinion daft really. We put up with it because the advantages of the device outweigh the annoyances but things will change.
Some of us are not of the opinion that the advantages of such devices outweigh the disadvantages; I, for one.

Actually, I dislike intensely these current monsters, although I can see that they are fashionable, desirable and - obviously - highly profitable.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Personally, I detest these "phablet" things, and I have always liked smaller phones.
I like big phones and I cannot lie. You other brothers can't deny...

Anyhow, small phones are harder to hold than a phablet. I can understand why women would prefer smaller phones, but a guy with big hands find big phones more comfortable to use.

It would be unconformable in your back pocket if you sat down.
What phone can sit on today that won't bend/break?:oops: The only phone that could survive in my back pocket was my old Nokia 3310. I would rather they spend more R&D on making these phones less flimsy. Even today's so-called rugged phones are a joke next to my old Nokia 3310.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Never really found the appeal of foldable phones. I had the Nokia bricks, Samsung Q105 that mimicked the old school pullout antenna and speaker fold, and then I had the Motorola Razr. Had so many problems with them - speaker going out, not being loud enough, reception terrible, etc... that I went to a Sony Ericsson T650, which was probably the best phone I ever had. It was tiny, indestructible, and lasted FOREVER.

One of my family members found it at my parent’s house and I was surprised how it fit in the palm of my hand. So used to my 8+, Xs MAX phones that I couldn’t imagine using a phone like this. Somehow I texted my wife (my then girlfriend) on this numberkey pad until I got my first HTC MyTouch phone.

Now that I’m spending more and more time on my iPad and MacBook I could see going back to a smaller phone. My 4s has many fond memories attached to it. I almost rarely use my phone to call and 99% of what I do is on WiFi. But for those times I need a phone (vacation, walking trips, etc...) a cellphone is vital (directions, emergency 911 calling, communication with family, etc...).

Matz

Contributor
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I don’t get the need for foldable phones, which is ok with me. However, I’m open to changing my mind if and when I see the utility of such a thing for me.

I used to feel the same way about the iPad when it first came out. Neat, but didn’t see how would benefit me.
My mind definitely changed about that.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I don’t get the need for foldable phones, which is ok with me. However, I’m open to changing my mind if and when I see the utility of such a thing for me.

I used to feel the same way about the iPad when it first came out. Neat, but didn’t see how would benefit me.
My mind definitely changed about that.
Typing this on my iPad (with Bluetooth keyboard) as we speak. I laughed at iPads when they came out. I laughed at Apple Watches when they came out. Now I use both extensively and can’t imagine life without them. :). Good point.

Reactions: Matz