iPhone 11 Pro Maybe there is 6GB of ram in new iPhones but only 4GB useable? With further 2GB for camera?

shita29

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Wait till tmr for iFixit tear down. I personally think if Pro only has 4gb, we better off buying the 11

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
What if it uses disk swap virtual memory? Is it up to 512GB then?

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
That’s interesting. Does it put them back in memory when you close the camera app? Got a source please, I’d like to follow up.
If an app ejects all apps out of memory, there's no going back. It can't magically restore what was their last state.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Given that opening the camera app and taking a photo ejects all apps out of memory, I find this dubious.
The 6GB myth was debunked the moment GeekBench summaries came out. The teardowns further proved 4GB of RAM.

Moral of the story, don't trust OnLeaks or carrier spec pages.

Reactions: pizzzle

delta0

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
London
IFixit tear down found one Hynix memory module. Capacity code is CR and that suggests 4GB. Hynix do not make any LPDDR4 greater than 4GB.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Has anyone ever felt like they couldn't do something on their iPhone due to a shortage of RAM? I don't get the obsession with RAM amounts. It seems to be more about arguing with Android friends rather than dealing with some performance limitation. The only time I have seen people specifically complain has been about tabs on safari. Who needs a million active tabs on safari?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Given that opening the camera app and taking a photo ejects all apps out of memory
Can you explain? I just opened the app and took a photo and a video and my Spotify continued to play, my safari page didn’t reload, and for the sake of it, the maps app remembered my location. Am I misunderstanding something here?

internetrando

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Shame. I like both but the 8GB RAM on my
S10+ almost never ejects apps like PocketCasts whilst multitasking unlike on my XS Max
You don’t have to agree with me, and quite frankly I don’t care about your anecdotal experience. I don’t expect you to care about mine either. My anecdotal experience tells me that the iPhone works wonderfully and I do not have any issues with apps being “ejected” or reloaded.

The phones work, and they work wonderfully. Apple has always enjoyed the benefits of vertical integration, and the marrying of hardware and software has always been wonderful.

It only takes 2+ GB of RAM for an iPhone to work with the newest software. Android is a far cry from that. As a matter of fact, I’d be shocked if there was an Android device ran the newest software with only 2 GB of RAM (not that I checked).

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
You don’t have to agree with me, and quite frankly I don’t care about your anecdotal experience. I don’t expect you to care about mine either. My anecdotal experience tells me that the iPhone works wonderfully and I do not have any issues with apps being “ejected” or reloaded.

The phones work, and they work wonderfully. Apple has always enjoyed the benefits of vertical integration, and the marrying of hardware and software has always been wonderful.

It only takes 2+ GB of RAM for an iPhone to work with the newest software. Android is a far cry from that. As a matter of fact, I’d be shocked if there was an Android device ran the newest software with only 2 GB of RAM (not that I checked).
Can you tell me which apps you can't run on Android device with 2GB RAM ?

internetrando

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Can you tell me which apps you can't run on Android device with 2GB RAM ?
You're diverting from my original quotation.

I said that I would be surprised if there was an Android device that could run the newest release of Android's operating system with only 2 GB of RAM. I still haven't checked and don't really intend to, but the fact of the matter is that Apple is a much more efficient and well designed ecosystem thanks to the vertical integration that Apple has created between hardware and software.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
You're diverting from my original quotation.

I said that I would be surprised if there was an Android device that could run the newest release of Android's operating system with only 2 GB of RAM. I still haven't checked and don't really intend to, but the fact of the matter is that Apple is a much more efficient and well designed ecosystem thanks to the vertical integration that Apple has created between hardware and software.
nice one, you don't have any Android device, you claiming something without any proofs, more like you pretending to have any knowledge about Android but you don't have any, your ignorance is appalling

internetrando

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
nice one, you don't have any Android device, you claiming something without any proofs, more like you pretending to have any knowledge about Android but you don't have any, your ignorance is appalling
And yet here we are without anyone capable of disproving my statement.