Mayor Bloomberg on Social Unrest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Interesting article in BBC News Magazine:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14978876

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think he may have exaggerated a bit. The young people in Egypt were also motivated by the fact that a corrupt dictator was in charge and had been for generations.

That being said, there is little positive news out there right now. Huge budget cuts are coming, the European debt crisis looms and student debt keeps soaring. It's hard to say how this will all play out.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yeah. We've never, ever seen riots from social unrest in the U.S. :rolleyes:

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I think I would be willing to chip in for busses from the city to the Hamptons so the riots at least happen where they need to.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You think that our governmental system here is comparable to that of Egypt before the revolution? We've elected every President since our founding and no one has exceeded their term. The U.S. is far from perfect as well all know but lets not be overly dramatic.

I agree that the U.S. favors the wealthy -- personally I can't remember a time when that wasn't the case but it seems to be news to some. If its a problem then peaceful marches are the way to go. The riots in the U.K. didn't turn out well. The rioters were perceived as lawless punks who just wanted a free TV.