MB 12” straight talk only, what I can do with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NikkiAngel, May 6, 2019.

1. NikkiAngel macrumors member

NikkiAngel

I’ve read as many posts as I could about the 12” MB but I am still uncertain if it will support my daily work needs. I am not in a technical field and don’t do photo editing or make movies or videos. I only do basic computing and word processing. I have seen posts that dispute if the MB 12” can handle virtual machines. Below is pretty much what I do on a daily basis:

1. I use Parallels to run Windows to run Quicken, and Excel (MAC version doesn’t run macros correctly).
    2. connect two monitors, not 4K
    3. Office suite open all the time, Word, Excel, Outlook
    4. QuickBooks and have it open all the time.
    5. I usually use Safari, or something and have it open all the time.

Will the base configured MB 12” work or should I get 16gs of ram?

I do travel a lot, and own my own business, which is why the 12” size is attractive to me.

2. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

3. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I don't think it will be easy to connect two independent external monitors.

4. Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

5. NikkiAngel thread starter macrumors member

NikkiAngel

You think the 8gb is too low? I chatted with an apple rep that suggest I got for the Air with the latest processors and 16gs. Thoughts?

6. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Yes you should get 16 GB if you’re going to be running VMs.

Also, perhaps you should consider a Pro over the Air if you want a 13” screen.

7. Mkuzmenko macrumors newbie

I agree, with this. Especially if running apps in both Mac OS and Windows simultaneously.

I've got a 2018 MPB 15 and recently picked up a 2017 12" MacBook m3 8g to use when traveling for work.. Using Parallels, I use one OS at a time with the apps closed in unused OS.

I've instead just used Bootcamp to run Windows 10 and Parallels to use the bootcamp partition as a VM when needed. The preference is to just boot to the OS I need, and use the VM of Windows when needed for minor use.

Windows 10 runs well using Bootcamp, I've experienced no issues.

8. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

I think so because you’re running Parallels plus Office suite. Also, consider that you’re be holding on to this machine for several years. 16GB should provide some peace of mind. I myself have 8GB. I run iWork and iLife apps and 8GB is paltry.

As for the Air, for your workflow, it’s a better tool but I don’t know how much of a premium you place on mobility. For me, I want the smallest, lightest machine, even at the expense of power.

9. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Do you really need to run 2 external screens off your ultraportable laptop?

10. NikkiAngel thread starter macrumors member

NikkiAngel

I use my laptop in clamshell mode at my desk, when I’m not traveling. I work with a lot of spreadsheets and it’s easier to see/use them, side by side vs split screen.
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2019 ---
    Thanks for the reply. I think I agree.
    I’ve never used Bootcamp. I’ve thought about it, I just never actually took the time to figure out how to do it.

I literally use Windows for 1 excel file that uses Macros that doesn’t play well with Excel for Mac, and for Quicken, which I could just switch to the Mac version, although it’s not complete as the windows version.

What do you think of the Air instead? The Apple rep is trying to tell me that the Air has better processors and 8g with Turbo Boost is a better choice.
    I have a pro now, which I feel is overkill for what I do. I’m not married to the screen size Id rather go smaller. I feel like I don’t use half of what the pro is capable of. My pro is a business lease, which is up so I’m going to buy my own now.

11. Diesel14 macrumors newbie

Diesel14

Bootcamp is a simple and easy setup. I don't know why more people don't take advantage of it.

I got the MacBook recently from BestBuy for $850 new during a flash sale like they have right now for $800. At that price point it made sense for me over the air, as my primary use for it is the PowerPoint presentations, MS office suite and web based apps. It's more than capable but I wouldn't buy it for my sole computer. All the heavy lifting I can do on my 2018 15" MBP, and with icloud the desktops and documents sync between both laptops (which is awesome). I feel better traveling with the less expensive MacBook in the event it gets stolen, not as concerned about the wear and tear from TSA at airports, and the smaller bag I can use when I travel with a laptop. I have an 10.5 iPad pro and tried to replace the need for a laptop with it, but it can't do what Mac OS or Windows can, or not as well.

Parallels works but running a VM on it splits the 8gig of ram between the os. I can't run windows with just 2gb and it perform the way i want, so i I have it set for 4gb. I don't notice performance issues. I'll run the boot camp when i want the full 8gigs dedicated to Windows.

Having a i7 hexacore with the MBP has spoiled me with a lightning fast user experience. That said, I haven't yet found myself wishing the m3 MacBook to be faster. It does what I need it effectively based on my expectations of what it can do.

My last point, my company pays for my hardware and I could have gotten the new MacBook air like 2 of my co-workers, for me the MacBook is more portable and perfectly capable. My co-workers are also only using the MacBook air as their only Mac OS machine.

Given the choice, I'd buy the MacBook again. Even over a surface pro 6 or surface laptop.

Cheers.

12. NikkiAngel thread starter macrumors member

NikkiAngel

I’ve learned a lot from your reply. I didn’t realize Parallels splits the ram. makes sense, I just never knew that. I’m definitely going to install the VM in bootcamp. I never run both Os and Windows concurrently so here’s really no need to use Parallels. Plus I feel like Parallels is quirky.

I just bought the MacBook today from the sale going on at Best Buy. It was too tempting to pass up. I also bought the MacBook Air from Apple directly. I haven’t picked up either yet, but I planning on doing a comparison test of the two over the next couple of weeks.

I’m replacing a MacBook Pro because it’s coming off a lease. I don’t want to buy it outright because I honestly think it’s overkill for what my daily needs are.

I’m rooting for the MB because it’s so tiny and cute, but I feel that the updated drivers is going to make the Air the winner.

I travel a lot myself and I am considering making the MB my travel computer and the Air my home/office computer should I love both.

It’s super hard to judge a computer based on most reviews because they are mostly geared towards people who edit video, or game. I do neither. I’m just a boring professional that stares at spreadsheets and QuickBooks all day long.

Thanks for the advice!

13. Mkuzmenko macrumors newbie

Apparently I have two usernames on here, but mkuzmenko = Diesel14.

Anyways... happy to help.

For Windows, you don't actually run a Virtual Machine (VM) on bootcamp. Instead, during the initial setup the bootcamp assistant splits the available SSD (hard drive) in two partitions, with a minimum of 40gigs required for Windows. This is a reason the 256 SSD on the MacBook was more attractive for $800, vs 1299 for MBA with 128gigs. I have mine set at 64 for Windows 10 and the rest for MacOS. You can only chose the partition size option for each OS only once, as the entire SSD would need to be erased to resize after it's set. All you need is a Windows10 ISO (64bit), which is free to download from MS. A Windows key is helpful too, but you can run Windows without activation, it's just locked down a bit.

The option to boot to either OS is at start-up and can be accessed by holding down the option key on the key board, which will prompt an option of which OS to boot. If you choose not to hold down the option key, it will boot to MacOS like normal.

Parallels is good VM software, I run it on both my machines when presenting the solution our company offers for software deployment to Mac and Windows devices. Using Parallels is an easier transition that restarting the device in the OS I want to present within. The Windows VM can not take advantage of the dedicated GPU of my 15" MBP (AMD555) but it's able to virtualize GPU hardware enough to do everything outside of graphic intensive applications and gaming. So, if I were to play GTA V or run Solidworks, I would boot Windows10 from the bootcamp partition because the VM wouldn't be able to support it.

The MBA has the fingerprint scanner like I'm used to on my 15", but the MB does not. Is it a nice feature? Yes, but I have an Apple Watch which unlocks both machines when waking from sleep.

My last .02:

The MB is 2lbs and travels well with my iPad Pro, which I lately I've only the iPad as a second monitor using Duet Display application and a USBC to lightning cord.

The 13" MBA offers similar performance (for all intents and purposes) as the 12" MacBook but with the portability of a 13" MacBookPro. And if you're already in that area, the best bang for the buck is the 13" MacBook Pro, as the base model is a quad core i5 versus a dual core i5.

The only thing I wish the MB had is Thunderbolt 3, but it's not critical because USB3.1 is plenty fast enough.

14. Surf760 macrumors member

The SSD on my 2016 m7 died back in February so I’m back in the market and have been playing with all the devices again. If your choice is between the MB and MBA I would highly recommend you go for the MBA. The single usb-c port is severely limiting. To be clear I seem to be one of the few usb c fans out there. However, most of the usb c hubs that have a usb c power slot and another usb c connector for things like external ssd (which is what mine is currently running off of), are set up to have two usb-c jacks to plug into. I’ll make an educated guess and say that is because how the MBA and MBP are set up. I will also tell you that I enjoy plugging my laptop into a 27” 4K monitor when I’m working in my home office. When I do, the machine can seriously struggle. Simple animations like expose look like they cause the computer to drop frames. I do understand you don’t use a 4K monitor and this might help. I nonetheless had great luck with it as a office/email/acrobat machine. It totally fit my bill of needs when I was a heavy traveler. Now that I spend much less time in airports I find myself hoping for a new 15”. Point being, be aware of its limitations, so long as you are, you may very well be the target buyer.

15. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

The only issue I see is your wish to run two external displays. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the MacBook only supports a single external display, same as the MacBook Air. For two external displays you'll need a MacBook Pro.

16. Surf760 macrumors member

The MBA actually supports two displays, from Apple's website:

Video Support
    Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One external display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at up to 60Hz

Up to two external displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at up to 60Hz

17. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

You're right, my bad. The MacBook Air supports two external displays, the MacBook supports just one.