mb bought from compusa in 2007 has the cracks..no applecare...take to apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mouseparty, Jun 21, 2008.

1. mouseparty macrumors newbie

i bought my white macbook around october 2006, and now the bottom edges are cracking, just like a lot of others i've seen. i do not have applecare, and i know my warranty is up...

i've read posts about some people just taking it in to the apple store, and getting it fixed for free. (without warranty, etc) are all stores doing this, or did they just talk to a nice apple employee?

the cracks are driving me nuts :mad:

2. priller macrumors regular

Warranty is 12 months, so it still should be under warranty.

3. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

how can your warranty be up? If you bought it on october 2007, your warranty should expire on october 2008. Go to the apple store and get it fixed

Also you may want to look into buying applecare soon to prevent these things to happen. You can buy applecare before your 1 year warranty is up.

4. mouseparty thread starter macrumors newbie

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I read in another thread that apple will fix the case for $280...

6. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

You can find the keyboard/case (white) top assembly on ebay for about $40 + shipping. You can even get black ones for another $20 or so... to spice things up if you want :)

7. mouseparty thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know if the apple store will put it together for me once i get it?

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably not, same reason the Ford dealer doesn't like customer to bring in their own discount part. :p

Likely you should be able to find someone willing to help you break the part installing it.

9. John01021988 macrumors 6502

for a small fee probably yes, or you can DIY, there are guides around, google em :p

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Mine's starting to do this on the right side, where the little bump on the lid hits it. Is this covered under AppleCare? My Apple store is about 2 hours away, and my a/c in my car just went out. I'd hate to drive all the way up there if they're not going to do anything about it.

11. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I think it's covered... Post a picture in a new thread if you still arn't sure.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've got to remember this for when my MB cracks out of warranty.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If your bring your own part, you will have to pay for labor at a rate of $180 per hour; they will most likely charge you for 2 hours for using your own parts, so is that really worth $360?