MB has to go to best buy to be fixed..but some Qs first

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pup555, Jan 21, 2012.

1. pup555 macrumors newbie

My computer has been freezing every other click for 3 min then is fine for 30 secs ect..can't believe it only took me 10 min to log in and create this message. Today has been the worst it's ever been..some days is fine..others ehhh

Think based on what others are telling me is my HD is failing..but i need to bring to best buy to have it looked at...have the 4 year accidental coverage.

I have an external i want to back stuff up on but every time i click the folder to drag into the external..it won't let it...anything...does the HD need to be formatted?

Also..do you think if i start up using the start disk and reinstall the OS..it will be better until i get to the store on monday?

Or..once i fugue out had to copy on my HD...can i just restore ENTIRE comp..from beginning?

2. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

I would have personally purchased it at the Apple store, unless of course you had a bunch of Best Buy certificates. I'm not a big fan of Best Buy's repair team, as I have had bad experiences with them in the past.

In regards to your HD question, it does need to be re-formatted. But that is very simple, just make sure your EHD is big enough :)

3. pup555 thread starter macrumors newbie

Use to work at Best Buy..which is why i got it there and got a great deal

Sucks becasue i can barley do anything...everything takes 10 min..look at weather..10 min...half of that is with the raindow wheel just spinning...ugh

going to try and re install the OS now to see if anything changes

4. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Well if the look through at Best Buy is free I would just go do that, or would have done it previously. Worse comes to worst, you may be in the market for a new SSD :) Best of luck!

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, if the HD is failing, the first thing to do is backing up data.

If you try to reinstall the OS first, chances are that the install will fail and the data will be inaccessible, at least without a second PC.

6. Mikesus macrumors 6502

just because you bought it at Best Buy doesn't mean you can't go to an Apple store. Took my Display model open box in for a broken ":" key. Looked up the warranty and fixed it no charge. I realize that the op bought their warranty, but if someone else is thinking they HAVE to go to Best Buy cuz they bought it there, it would be incorrect if there is still Apple warranty on it.

7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I just bought my 15" MBP at Best Buy because they were selling the 2.4GHz model for $2059 instead of $2199, but if I need service I will be taking it to the Apple Store downtown. I have had nothing but good luck and quick service with the Apple Stores in the past, whereas getting anything repaired at Best Buy usually requires three weeks, shipping the entire unit to some repair warehouse in the lower 48, and waiting 2-3 weeks.