MB Pro 2016 without Touchbar – any happy and satisfied users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hooldus, Nov 30, 2016.

1. hooldus, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

hooldus macrumors member

I was waiting for the new MacBook Pro for quite a long period of time. But there are currently a lot of complains at least about video glitches and crashes.

Does someone has a MacBook Pro 2016 without Touchbar, which does not have those video glitch issues? Is it worth risking and buying one now? Unfortunately, I am living currently in a country, where online shops are not so customer-friendly when it comes to returns, even though it is within EU.

2. Peptide macrumors member

I'm pretty content with my 13" non-touch. Good battery life and I'm able to perform my tasks almost seamlessly.

3. HGHTWRR macrumors newbie

Hey, I received my 15" TB on Monday, and I love it.
    i was a bit concerned about the keyboard but I got used ti it pretty damn fast!
    The touchbar is something between a gimmick and a useful innovation, can't tell more about it now, maybe after a ,longer time of usage!
    The display is amazing. I am used to a 27" 5k display, and this retina display is looking great compared!
    I charged my macbook on Monday, and I am charing it right now, so it lasts me around 2 days, but I only used it for surfing and light usage, so I can't tell anything about the battery life under heavy usage.

FYI: I love almost everything apple does, and I might be a bit of a fanboy, but I tried to keep this review as objective as possible.
    If you got any more questions feel free to ask!

4. john g. macrumors member

john g.

I have a 13" no touch bar model.

No crashes at all and no overt screen glitches. A couple of times I got a quick flicker as I logged in.

Pretty happy with it. I only wish it had four ports instead of two, but not a deal breaker.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

I love my non-TB 13".

It's actually a small powerhouse, if you're not using the iGPU. I seem to be able to run all my Logic Pro X projects fine on it, and haven't noticed throttling once. The battery lasts quite awhile as well.

6. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

What does "Almost Seamlessly" mean? what issues are you having?

Thank you

7. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

TB version, occasionally there're some graphical glitches, but I don't think there will by anything that can't be solve by a software update. Just get it now if you want to start enjoying now.

8. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Ordered my nTB MBP yesterday. I have a good feeling that I'll love it because I really enjoyed my experience with the 12" MacBook

9. Peptide macrumors member

I don't think it's a big issue and I will try my best to describe it.

The issue occurs in chrome with multiple tabs, one of them being gmail. When I use 3-finger drag to resize the page (on the gmail tab), there is a profound delay in the contents of the page being resized. The actual window of the page resizes in conjunction with me using the 3-finger drag, but the actual contents on the page take about a second or so to match up. For instance, if I begin with the page just about a quarter size relative to the screen and I want to 3-finger resize the page to utilize the whole screen (minus the dock), and I go ahead and perform the drag, there will be a delay in the gmail contents resizing, but the window itself resizes smoothly. I hope this makes sense. This issue doesn't occur with any other website, so it may just be website specific, and not an issue directly related to the laptop hardware/software.

Also, I've just tried this out on my girlfriend's 2014 13" rMBP and it does the same thing.

If I had to complain about one thing, it would probably be 3-finger drag not registering all the time. It's not a huge issue since if it doesn't work with one hand, it works with the other. I've found that too much friction between your fingers the trackpad increases the likelihood that it doesn't register.

Another thing I've noticed is that the battery remaining reading is highly inaccurate. While the battery life itself is fantastic, the time remaining reading can sometimes be off by +/- 2 hours, which probably explains why some people report 12-14 hours readings.

10. Mbp15buyer macrumors newbie

15' TB buyer here. Fairly satisfied, except for one jarring issue - animation stuttering. This is nowhere near as buttery-smooth as I would hope for a brand new $2800 device. It's frankly irritating

11. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

I have a non-Touch Bar model too, I love it. I didn't hear about video glitches, but my screen glitches rarely when I am watching YouTube at full screen. It is so minor and really rare though, it doesn't bother me at all. I use it as my main computer everyday, and it didn't crash yet. Battery life is also great, when I'm not playing League of Legends. And yeah, it can totally game if you only play light titles. I also like the keyboard more than the old one. My typing is even faster on this. But there's a slight issue that sometimes bothers me. I always turn CAPS-LOCK on and off when I want to type a capital letter. If I hit the CL key too fast, it doesn't read it. It only happens when I do it too fast though, but it sometimes gets me. But still, I am not gonna worry about it that much. I like my device, really good quality and speakers. So expensive for nTB though...

12. Denumerable macrumors member

Denumerable

I really wish a non-TB version of the 15" was available... :(

13. Peptide macrumors member

I recently read that the caps lock key is supposed to do that in order to prevent accidental capitalizations. They started implementing this feature a couple years ago.

14. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

Wow okay, kind of annoying though xD

15. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

I'm \very happy with my 13" non-touch as well. Handles everything that I need to do with ease.

16. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I just got mine yesterday. Like it so far except this morning I did experience a GPU issue where the lock screen was flashing all kinds of different jarring colors. I went to get my phone to take a video, but by the time I got back, the screen was blank, and when I woke it up and didn't see the issue again.

17. David58117 macrumors 65816

I've had this twice, both early on when I bought it.

I changed background images and haven't had it occur since. FileVault is off.

18. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

FileVault is disable for me as well. I'll see if it happens again. I have until Jan 8, so plenty of time with the machine. I'm just wondering if this is something that would affect all machines or if this is a defect that affects only some systems.

19. Elcompa macrumors member

Elcompa

I'm also on a 13" MBP non TB and got the wild multi-color screen when it was brand new. Never happened again.
    I'm also on a 13" MBP non TB and got the wild multi-color screen when it was brand new. Happened twice. on the same day, which was my second day of use. Got a pic on the second time, however, it has never happened again and I am now heading toward three weeks of use.

20. ghanwani, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Mine happened again today. Opened it today after about 12 hours of sleeping. I took a video of it:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61646136/IMG_1366.MOV
    The video was taken hurriedly in the dark and by the time I switched the room light on, the display went blank and when I woke the display up everything was fine again. But there's enough in the video to show what was going on.

So --
    Is this a problem? Should I be trying to get the machine replaced?

Thanks.

21. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I think it's probably a software issue. It happened to my 12" Macbook as well although not as persistent as yours

22. Falcon80 macrumors 6502

I think you should if it happens frequently.

23. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

It happened again this morning.

So I think I'll order another machine and wait till it shows up and then return this one.

I also contacted Apple support yesterday via chat and showed them the video and the rep said it looks like a defect. Offered to help try to fix (no guarantee) but I refused.