MB v MBP (I'm really struggling here ladies and gents)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ewulls01, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ewulls01 macrumors newbie

Ok I'm about to drop money on a mac and I'm really having troubles deciding. I have torn the two computers apart and it really comes down to this:

I LOVE everything about the macbook pro. The aluminum case, bigger screen, backlight keyboard, led display, etc... (I'm not a fan of the plastic cased, small screen, macbook)

My concern is that I will not find a way to justify using the additional "guts" of the computer. I understand the additional ram, faster processor and larger HD but help me find an excuse to spend the extra money for this separate video card (and whatever else I'm missing here). The real sell here is my wife...I have to tell her why (honestly) I need a computer that is $900 more than the base model. I don't want to just buy a computer that does what I'm into today...I want to find a new hobby that will justify the more capable Macbook Pro!!! (Should I take up photo/video editing??? What else would I do with the additional capability?)

So what would I use the Pro for that the smaller notebooks can't do? It may be worth noting that this will replace my desktop PC and be my primary computer.

Thanks for your support of a bright eyed noob!
    E:confused:

2. v-ault macrumors regular

If this is going to be your main computer, get a MBP. It's just got the power you need for a desktop replacement and it has the power for up to 30 inch displays, something the Macbook doesn't.

3. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

I personally have a MacBook that is approx. 1 year old, my suggestion is to buy the MBA or the MBP only because they are better computers, how about a refurbished MBP, that always convinces people when it comes to buying something expensive.:cool::apple:

4. superspud macrumors regular

you'll be very happy with just the macbook, its what i have.. unless you're actually GOING to take up a new hobby to make your computer work harder, you'll be fine with the MB. even if you do take up photography and photo editing, the MB will be just fine. the 2.2ghz core 2 duo is no slouch, and with 2-4 gigs of RAM you will have quite a machine...

i'd say unless you're going to be doing some sort of major work on your comp, just get the macbook. if the size of the screen bothers you that much, take the money you saved and buy a nice 22" external like me :)

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

One of the reasons I chose my MBP was "future-proofing" my purchase. A dedicated GPU will likely be handle video a few years down the road better than integrated chips. Naturally, this assumes that I'll still be using the computer at that time -- which I fully expect to be by turning it into a workstation with an external monitor.

6. v-ault macrumors regular

The MBA is not a better computer for his purposes, and it's not a better computer period.That's an underpowered computer (due not in terms of "ultra-portables). This guy wants a desktop replacement, and the MBP would fit that best.

7. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

Well it's really up to you. If you're worried about the small screen display, why not buy a macbook and a larger screen to attach it to? I personally find nothing wrong with the MB but I do understand why people choose the MBP over the MB. If you're getting the MBP just because of the aluminum case, larger screen, and backlit keys, Personally I think that's a waste of money. The main point of the MBP is the graphics card that is included with it, and if you're not gonna use it, why bother spending the extra cash on it? But like I said before, it's really up to you, and that's only my opinion.

8. ewulls01 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow! this is the best forum I have ever posted on!!! I seriously looked away for a couple minutes and already had a ton of replys.

So all great points and I agree with everything! So understood that it is a waste to buy just for the external appeal what do you utilize the separate video card for? I'm definitely interested in picking up a new hobby...is video editing all it is good for?

E

Oh and i'm one of those desperately hoping for a MBP update :)

9. superspud macrumors regular

if you get the mbp, its internals will be good for longer than the mb b/c they are better... better graphics card, faster processor and such... so you get an overall better computer. you just have to justify spending the extra for it. personally i was content with just the mb, but ultimately the decision comes down to you.

10. v-ault macrumors regular

From a screen standpoint, THe Macbook Pro screen has much better viewing angles. You won't be disappointed with a MBP at all.

11. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Here's my 2 cents:

If you are going to usually sit at a desk and occasionally take the notebook out and about, buy the MacBook and buy an external display with the extra $$$.

I bought a MBP. Honestly, I could probably have gotten by with a MB. But taking my computer to school everyday and using it for researching/writing at school means I need something bigger than 13.3". I can't take an external display to school everyday, and that's where I use my computer.

After getting the MBP, I am very happy with my decision. And I have found myself doing a lot of home video editing, sound editing, and photo editing because now I can!

*I should note that I would have gotten the MB, but my university's bookstore was having a sale on the 2.4 15" MBP - it was 2000 on a no sales tax day*

12. pr5owner macrumors 65816

well isnt it obvious? the MB is already more powerful and fits in the SAME laptop bag that holds the 13" MBA, in fact, a 13" laptop bag will fit any 13" laptop no matter how thick or thin it is (in reason since there is no 50" thick 13" laptop)

also if you buy the MB you can upgrade your ram to its MAX for $40, then you can buy 1 eee pc so you can still turn heads and show off, then you can buy ANOTHER eee pc and upgrade it to the max, then you still have more than enough money to buy a good mouse and maybe some accessories.

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

2 reasons I bought the MBP: screen size and backlit keyboard. It's admittedly more computer than I need, but it's the one I want. Get a refurb and DON'T wait for an update that may or may not come someday, possibly tomorrow or next week or at most in 6 months or . . .

14. ewulls01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for weighing in! I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing.

Thanks!
    E

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Plenty of folks use the MB as their main (and only) computer. If you don't absolutely need the graphics card of the MBP, save a thousand dollars and get the Macbook instead. If you use a computer to do what 99% of people do with computers, you'll never notice the difference.

16. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I didn't see you mention it... do you plan to install XP or Vista and possibly play games?

If you do, then the discrete video card in the MBP will be much better.