MB was stolen and I really need help with getting media content off iPhone and iPod

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Merkyworks, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Merkyworks, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

Merkyworks macrumors 6502

ok guys and gals i really need your help here. i had my place broken into and they stole my late 08 MP 13" and the portable HD that I use for time machine backups and a bunch of other things :mad: . im trying to look on the bright side of things and let this be the excuses i need to justify upgrading to a MBP 15". im starting to save my $$ and in a few months ill have enough and that should coincide with the supposed MBP refresh I hope. so here is my problem, i really want to get as much of my media content back as possible. i have an iPhone4 32gig JB on OS 4.1 and a iPod classic 60gig and between those two I have almost all of my photos, videos, music, apps and contacts (thank god i had those with me in my car). so how can i get all of this info off these two devices so that i can import it back into my future MBP. from what i currently understand when i plug these two devices into my new MBP i will loose all my data because it hasn't sync'd with this comp before. my collection is a mix of items so ill try and break it all down the best i can.

1. any iTunes music or apps were DL in iTunes and under my account.

2. all other music was mp3's from friends or imported off CD's i bought (those got stolen too:mad:), so this music has no DMR.

3. I do have some movies that were digital DL's from when i bought the DVD hard copy and I used the iTunes (under my account) DL option to get the digital copy to put on my iPhone.

3. photos were saved from various places but were just plain image files with no DMR.

4. Contacts list was just iphone input based.

5. when it comes to music, videos and pictures that are currently on my iPhone or iPod are they of lower resolution quality then what was saved on my computer? meaning if i have some high res pics that were 1680x1050, videos that were 720HD and music that was imported at the highest kbps rate onto my iPhone/iPod is the content on my iPhone/iPod scaled down. so that "IF" i can get this content off my iPhone and iPod will it be the same quality that i had originally on my MB?

I think that this covers all my mix of stuff. I do have access to a friends MBP and my work comp is a PC so any programs that i would need for this can be PC or Mac based.

please help :(

2. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I was in a similar situation; bought a new PC, started backing everything up and then formatted the older hard drive before recycling, and realized I forgot the iTunes library after it was too late.

On a PC, use SharePod: http://www.getsharepod.com/
    On the Mac, use iRip2: http://thelittleappfactory.com/irip/

Those will recover and transfer your pictures, vids, and songs. I'm not sure about the contacts though; mine were all re-synced to my iPod from web-based emails.

3. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

iPod Access has worked well for me. The trial version only allows 5 songs at a time though...

4. Merkyworks, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so i tried SharePod and iRip on my work PC and while it would see my iPhone and the music that is on it, it would not let me see any of my pictures or movies that I have.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You should be able to set your iPod to disc mode, and access your stuff that way.

6. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I'm not sure about the music in "disk mode", but simply attaching the iPod to a PC, without running iTunes or the other programs listed above, and the iPod should be treated like just another USB drive. Allowing you to browse the pictures as if you had attached a camera.

7. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

well the iPod only has music on it and i can see all of that with the PC. the iPhone has some music and i can see that and i can see the photos that are on the camera roll but i can not see any of my folder photos that i have synced from iPhoto or the two movies that i synced from iTunes.