?? MB with an external monitor attached & the display closed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deafanimator, Nov 29, 2009.

1. deafanimator macrumors member

I typed Mac Help about "to operate the portable computer with an external monitor attached and the display closed. When I close the display of my Mac Book or MacBookPro, the external monitor such as my 50" Plasma monitor or video projector would go black. I read the Help and it said and required the USB Mouse and Keyboard to close the Macbook display and put computer sleep.

My question is will the Apple blue tooth or wireless keyboard and mice will work with out using the USB? Has any one try that? I am not sure if I should buy wired or wireless to operate this.

Thanks for your time and answer my questions.

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I have an apple wireless keyboard and a magic mouse, and when I close my MBPs lid when a screen is attached, the screen goes blank. Therefore I assume this doesnt work :(

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes bluetooth will work.

I typically connect the laptop to external display while the laptop is shut / sleep.

Then wake it up using keyboard (either wired or wireless).

By default, paired bluetooth devices can wake up a Mac.

Shutting the lid puts the computer to sleep. You would have to wake it up using some kind of input device.

4. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I have a magic mouse and apple wireless keyboard paired with the laptop. In settings, I made sure that I can wake up the comp with an bluetooth device. And yet, when I close the lid, I cannot wake the laptop with all the clicking, moving and typing in the world.

EDIT: I just got out my old logitech bluetooth mouse and it seems that it WILL wake my laptop when the lid is shut.
    God my magic mouse is useless... its been disconnecting and reconnecting all day. I think I'll switch back to the logitech and just keep the magic mouse in my laptop bag because its thinner.

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

In the Advanced Bluetooth preference settings, be sure to check the "Allow bluetooth devices to wake my computer" option.

6. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I used to rig my MacBook up this way before I got my iMac. Worked well, as long as you set your prefs to allow BT devices to wake your mac as mentioned above.

7. scradeley macrumors newbie

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Assuming you have connected a mouse and keyboard, you connect the screen, close the lid and then the first keystroke or mouse-click shows everything on your external screen.

9. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I thought Macbooks couldn't be operated at all when closed because they'd overheat. Perhaps not?

10. deafanimator thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys for reply me Back the answers!

Thank you guys for reply me back the answers. Now I know either wired or blue tooth will work either way. Thanks again.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's a load of crap. Apple wouldn't allow use to easily use that feature only to have the computer overheat from it, imagine the warranty claims and the money lost.