Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hzahid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
I just got the 21.5" HP 22xi monitor so I can use it with my MBA 11". I got a mini Dvi port to HDMI adapter which I am using to hook the MBA with the monitor .

The text is a bit pixilated on the monitor, and I really can't configure the best setting . The monitor reviews on Amazon is excellent when used with a Mac.

Anyone can help with the optimal setting for this monitor with MBA 11" ?

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I just got the 21.5" HP 22xi monitor so I can use it with my MBA 11". I got a mini Dvi port to HDMI adapter which I am using to hook the MBA with the monitor .

The text is a bit pixilated on the monitor, and I really can't configure the best setting . The monitor reviews on Amazon is excellent when used with a Mac.

Anyone can help with the optimal setting for this monitor with MBA 11" ?

Maybe try with the mini display port to DVI adapter apple sells instead of HDMI, i've read of text being fuzzy for some users with HDMI and some monitors.

Artagra

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
What resolution have you got the monitor set to? The native resolution for that monitor is 1920x1080, so that's what you want to set it to

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Look at the menus on your monitor too. There may be some settings for sharpness and they may not default to the maximum. Since HDMI is generally used to connect things BluRay players to a monitor, high sharpmess is not always desirable.

Hzahid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
MBA air 11 with HP 22xi

I tried the setting thing and now it is 1080, also i tried the dvi port, and the sharpness setting on the screen. The text is still pixilated and very annoying to read . really don't know what to do

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Can you connect it to a different computer using a different method (like a windows computer with a VGA or DVI cable)? That should give you some idea as to whether there's a problem with your MBA or if the monitor is just lousy.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Look at the menus on your monitor too. There may be some settings for sharpness and they may not default to the maximum. Since HDMI is generally used to connect things BluRay players to a monitor, high sharpmess is not always desirable.

No, HDMI came from DVI.. only difference is hdmi carries sound.

arnaud74

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
The problem might very well come with the settings of the monitor itself: third button on the monitor will bring "quick view". Make sure "Text" is selected. Other settings might distort the fonts on screen.

edskas

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Same problem

I have joined this site specifically to respond to this question!

I have a macbook air 13" and purchased the HP 22xi and was very disappointed with the appearance of text. I tried all the settings but to no avail. Then I attached the mac to my panasonic tv, and when I had finished took the mac back to the 22xi. When I switch the 22xi on it was an amazing difference: I'd set under scanning to the maximum value, so the monitor screen was under scanned; when I reduced the under scanning the image exactly fitted the monitor screen and the quality was excellent.

Trouble is as soon as I switched it off it went back to the blurry image and I had to under scan it again.

I haven't been able to replicate the one time it seemed to work properly. I have wasted another evening of my life on this kind of nonsense - I purchased the mac because I wanted to reclaim my life and not have to mess around like this...

edskas

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
It's the HP22xi!! Other monitors are fine

I have found this site to be so useful that I joined just to add the previous post.

I have been able to conduct further research on this that should help resolve the matter:

I contacted Apple Support and we checked everything on the Macbook - no problems there i.e. I hadn't changed any settings to create the effect.

I went to the company from which I had purchased the HP 22xi, and demonstrated the problem on another HP 22xi machine (lack of sharpness for text). We then attached the Macbook to 3 other makes of monitor and in all cases the monitors performed as they should, with very sharp text.

They offered an exchange because I had purchased the monitor the day before, and I am typing this using a Philips 227E4LHA, which is brilliant, totally crisp text and £30 cheaper than the HP monitor.

So, it is an HP problem!

----------

Just thought it might help to know that I was using HDMI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.