MBA 13" i7 256gb. Should I invest on more RAM or HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ninobehar, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ninobehar macrumors newbie

Hello my friends!

My first post here. Im planning on ordering a MBA for myself next week and I would like some advice. Im planning on getting the 13" model with the i7 processor, but im not sure if I invest on 8gb of RAM or in a larger HD (512gb). I saw that there are some SD cards to expand the HD, but im not sure what is the best option. Unfortunaly I cant get the ultimate setup.

Im a doctor in residency, so my main use for the MBA will be browsing the web, wathing movies, editing documents and running some statistics programs (SPSS), no graphic or video editing.

If possible can you guys recommend me the best SD expansions for the MBA 13"?

Thanks a lot!

Nino

2. wwong-maui macrumors newbie

RE:MBA 13" i7 256gb. Should I invest on more RAM or HD?

Go for the 8GB of RAM... primarily because that is not upgradeable in the future. There are several options for basic storage -including the ability to use external storage options via the USB 3 ports, ThunderBolt and the SD Slot on the MBA 13". RAM however is soldered in and there is not a feasible upgrade path.

You'll enjoy your MBA so much!

3. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

4. audiokid macrumors newbie

5. ninobehar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! Ill go for the ram.

Can you guys recomend me a good SD for upgrading my storage on the MBA? I want to get them togheter.

Thanks!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The RAM upgrade is good.

Or just get both upgrades. SD cards are slow (unless you buy expensive ones AKA $400 for 256GB).

I think you'll be fine with 256GB for watching movies. Just delete the extras or archive them to an external HD that you keep at home.

7. Virinprew macrumors 6502

I would upgrade RAM. Open several tabs in Safari can deplete RAM quickly. Storage can be added externally but RAM cannot. I think SD is nice because you don't need to carry around ext.hdd. You just keep it plug in. I think that is what OP have in mind.

8. ninobehar thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you recomend me a SD card that fits nicely on the MBA and have good storage and speed?

Thanks!

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont think sd cards are a good solution. They are slow and have limitd storage.
    Get 256gb ssd. With your current use 4gigs ram is plenty enough. But if you feel that bad about the ram upgrade both. Then get the ram instead of the cpu upgrade.

10. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

The i7 upgrade is the least useful of the three (as it is still a dual-core processor limited by the 15W TDP). Absolutely get the RAM one and then decide if 256GB is enough storage. With the use of external storage it sounds like it should be for your stated purposes.

11. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

My question is whether your use case(s) require 8 gig, as my initial thought is that you could do everything you mention in 4 gig.

SD cards are an OK option for more storage, but the performance is nowhere near what internal storage speeds are. USB3 and Thunderbolt drives are ok as well, but again nowhere near the speed of the internal SSD. I wouldn't do as the above poster suggests and run a VM from it, but most certainly use it for iTunes content, movies, etc. I travel with a 128 gig PNY card which houses my "on the go" media library.

Perhaps add a bit to the budget and max it out - 8 gig and 512 gig? That's the config I opted for as I use the system to run virtual machines and actually needed the bigger ram footprint.

$0.02 worth...

13. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Why are you getting the i7? I'd save the money and get the 8GB/256HDD. Honestly you will see no benefit in the i7.