MBA 13" shows 6 hours 40 min of battery life after full charge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by binbs, Nov 13, 2013.

1. binbs macrumors newbie

Got a brand new macbook air 2013 13" i7/8GB

Was looking forward to the 12 hour battery life yet mine shows 6 hours and 40 min after a full charge. Display is at 75-80% of full capacity.

Is my battery defect and do I need to send this back to Apple so they can fix it?

I bought this machine in thailand via the online apple store. In thailand there is no 'no questions asked refund rule' if under 14 days after purchase, but obv I do have a warranty.

Or is this something I can fix myself? Does the battery need to be reset or calibrated or something?

2. Sand King macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem and day by day the estimation would increase. Just give it a few days of solid use and it should be fine.

3. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

I used to have battery life issues back when I first got my MBA. I can honestly say that I"m getting around the 12 hour mark every time nowadays.

Not sure what changed.

4. hexblot macrumors member

In laymans terms: OSX doesn't know how big your battery is (yet), and you are shown the current estimate. As you use it, the prediction does get better, which in your case would mean larger. Try using it and you should see you get more than the *estimated* 6 hours and change.

Just use the laptop for a couple of days and it should settle on its own. Never forget that "time remaining" is an ESTIMATE, and in no way accurate (it does get pretty good with time).

Do note that on a new machine, a ton of things run in the background (indexing for searches, dropbox if you have that or similar, etc), which may contribute.

5. binbs thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for the reassurance. Ill keep an eye out.