MBA 2.16GHZ SSD VS MBP 2.4GHZ i 5, which is faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by montblanc1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

Condition is that MBP 2.4 GHZ i5 model has a normal mechanical hard deive, 5400rpm

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Depends on the task.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What are you benching?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

What JW NYC said. On CPU-intensive tasks, the Core i5 will blow away the Core 2 Duo. That's why Intel came out with it. On something disk intensive, like copying huge files, the Air will win by virtue of its SSD. A Core i5 MB Pro with SSD would outperform both.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will perform better, but not blow away. One generation old hardware isn't outclassed just like that by the next generation. Now, you can say that for 2 generation old Core Dous.

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

If you are compressing a video file or encoding an audio file in iTunes, the 2.4GHz i5 will be much faster than the 2.13Ghz Core 2 Duo. For Application loading, booting, navigating your machine, and surfing the web the MacBook Air will be faster due to its hardwired Flash NAND-based storage, it can access data faster and cache files faster, but it cannot crunch numbers and data faster. For pure CPU-intensive tasks like converting or compressing audio or video, which can take hours, you would be much better off with an i5 or i7 because the little Core 2 Duo is going to leave you waiting. But still it's an excellent machine for light use and browsing the web.