MBA 2011 thin black strip at the bottom of the display

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Stevie04, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Stevie04 macrumors member

Hi,
    I got my new MBA 13" 256 i5 yesterday. Then I realised a thin black strip at the bottom of the display after I had opened Safari in full screen mode. Do you have the same problem? Should I send it back to Apple?
    I have the Samsung Display!

2. rkheyfets macrumors regular

are you referring to the border that comes all around the screen not the bezel,
    or is it just on the bottom and yea a photo would b very helpful

3. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

4. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

@Stevie04
    There's already a thread on the subject.

I have this "black line" / "gradient" / "smokey thing" too on my mid 2011 MBA. And though I had never noticed it before reading the aforementioned thread, I have this on my 2010 MBA as well. You can see pictures of both side by side in this post (both Samsung panels).

I know I'm not helping you out here. All I know is what's for sure so far:
    • It's a hardware issue, as this "gradient" appears even in the gray screen during the boot process.
    • It was there on late 2010 MBAs, at least on mine.
    • People have been exchanging their MBAs for new ones, "gradient" still there.
    What's not so sure:
    • Whether it's a defect.
    • Conversely, whether it's done on purpose (I actually quite like it, for now).
    There is no glass in front of the panel.

5. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

So every MBA has this problem and I do not have to send it back?
    It's good to see that I'm not the only one with this problem.
    Okay I have to live with this bug then...

thank you for your help ;)

6. rkheyfets macrumors regular

if its not glass then what is in front of the panel?

7. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes - this seems to be pretty constant - I have the small gradient area as well. So it doesn't seem to be an issue with just your machine.

8. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

You're welcome :).

If you take it back and get a new one, you're very likely to get the same panel. However, if you take it to the Genius bar, I'm sure they will replace the panel with a properly lit since you'll have described the issue and they'll have to ensure the new one is free of any "gradient".

What you can touch is the panel itself, I guess. At least not a glass like on the MBP.

9. rkheyfets macrumors regular

its just thinner glass unless i am wrong it cannt be the the panel without any protective surface in front or coating

10. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

I think if it was a glass panel, it would cover the bezel as well (like on the MBP).

11. Stevie04 thread starter macrumors member

Yea I think this too. This glass panel creates this gradient effect I think.

12. rkheyfets macrumors regular

good point however they wouldn't just ship a bare panel, maybe like the anti glare macs the glass (or whatever covers the panel) doesn't extend to the bezel.

13. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

I've had some experiences with Sony Vaio X, the 11" display while having superb colors and brightness, it has exactly the same problem discussed here.

I think it's the limitation of thin display where the backlight cannot evenly distribute through out a wider viewing angle.