Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevie04

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hi,
I got my new MBA 13" 256 i5 yesterday. Then I realised a thin black strip at the bottom of the display after I had opened Safari in full screen mode. Do you have the same problem? Should I send it back to Apple?
I have the Samsung Display!

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
are you referring to the border that comes all around the screen not the bezel,
or is it just on the bottom and yea a photo would b very helpful

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
@Stevie04
There's already a thread on the subject.

I have this "black line" / "gradient" / "smokey thing" too on my mid 2011 MBA. And though I had never noticed it before reading the aforementioned thread, I have this on my 2010 MBA as well. You can see pictures of both side by side in this post (both Samsung panels).

I know I'm not helping you out here. All I know is what's for sure so far:
  • It's a hardware issue, as this "gradient" appears even in the gray screen during the boot process.
  • It was there on late 2010 MBAs, at least on mine.
  • People have been exchanging their MBAs for new ones, "gradient" still there.
What's not so sure:
  • Whether it's a defect.
  • Conversely, whether it's done on purpose (I actually quite like it, for now).
But maybe its the glass in front of the panel?
There is no glass in front of the panel.

Stevie04

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
So every MBA has this problem and I do not have to send it back?
It's good to see that I'm not the only one with this problem.
Okay I have to live with this bug then...

thank you for your help ;)

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Yes - this seems to be pretty constant - I have the small gradient area as well. So it doesn't seem to be an issue with just your machine.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
So every MBA has this problem and I do not have to send it back?
It's good to see that I'm not the only one with this problem.
Okay I have to live with this bug then...

thank you for your help ;)
You're welcome :).

If you take it back and get a new one, you're very likely to get the same panel. However, if you take it to the Genius bar, I'm sure they will replace the panel with a properly lit since you'll have described the issue and they'll have to ensure the new one is free of any "gradient".

if its not glass then what is in front of the panel?
What you can touch is the panel itself, I guess. At least not a glass like on the MBP.

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
I think if it was a glass panel, it would cover the bezel as well (like on the MBP).

good point however they wouldn't just ship a bare panel, maybe like the anti glare macs the glass (or whatever covers the panel) doesn't extend to the bezel.

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I've had some experiences with Sony Vaio X, the 11" display while having superb colors and brightness, it has exactly the same problem discussed here.

I think it's the limitation of thin display where the backlight cannot evenly distribute through out a wider viewing angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.