MBA driving monitor- Fan Noise? Please Chime in with experience.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by samroberto, Jul 11, 2011.

1. samroberto macrumors member

For those of you that frequently use an external monitor with your MBA (revision D), do you have a lot of fan noise just by running the monitor? - Also, do you have a lot of fan noise in general?

I had a first gen MBA and OH did the fan run all the stinkin time. ALL the time. Youtube video? Fry my lap and blow me over the fan got so windy. It was incredibly annoying.

So for those of us that either snatch up a current model, or the refresh, do we have anything to worry about? ...

(point of ref:
    -my previous gen.1 MBA had largely inferior specs, ran fan all the time and choked.
    -my current 2009 15"MBP w/ 2.53C2D, 9400m, 4gigs, never has a problem like this and never ramps up the fan. However I do understand the MBP chassis disappates heat better than the smaller MBA).

Thanks.

2. samroberto thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bump! Anyone?

3. Vazkor macrumors member

Youtube is very CPU intensive so it's normal.

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

My 2010 13.3" Air had its fan making much noise when I was converting movies from RMVB format to MP4 format. At the beginning, I thought that it was raining outside.

In general, the fan of an Air makes pretty heavy noise when a heavy job is submitted to it. Therefore, an Air is only suitable for light computing. It is a great computer due to its transportability and convenience of use. However, if one can bear with the fan noise, some heavy computing jobs can be done with an Air.

5. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

My mbp does this... yesterday I plugged it into my monitor for the first time in a year or so... and I forgot how loud it actually gets just running on the monitor.... not even doing anything... reaching 73C fans on near max rpm... with absolutely nothing opened...

So now no more plugging it into a monitor...pretty annoying for a pro machine.

(This was with the machine lid open as well so air could vent through the keys)

6. vtmike03 macrumors newbie

Same only with lid closed

I have the same experience with the fan noise but only with the lid closed and external monitor running. If I keep the native screen running and only drag apps to the external display that I want to be larger the MBA runs quietly. At first I thought that VMware Fusion was the cause but when I run fusion in the configuration listed above there is no excessive fan noise. I have the MBA 13 i5 1.7 4gb ram 256gb hd. I have not tried dragging all apps to the external display but I bet it would cause an increase in fan noise. I'm thinking it has something to do with rendering a large number of application on the external display.