Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PedroW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Hi I have a 2014 MBA connected by thunderbolt cable to an Elgato Thunderbolt dock with an external hard drive, cd drive connected via usb3 and and an ASUS PB287Q monitor connected via thunderhead. I run the MBA closed in clamshell mode.

I have a weird issue that is intermittent: every so often the monitor will go blank and show the "display port has no input" if I open the clamshell at this point the MBA is still showing the desktop. To fix usually I need to power the monitor down and then turn the monitor on again. Occasionally I can get it to redisplay by turning monitor off at the bottom and on again.

Not sure if it is a monitor issue, an Elgato issue, a MBA issue or a cable issue.

Anyone had similar or got any ideas? Thanks

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Is the display going blank when the laptop sleeps or when the screen saver kicks in? Which OS are you using?

PedroW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
El Capitan and everything up to date - sometime when I try and bring it out of sleep. But often whilst I am using it live no screensaver.

Since I powered the screen down fully this morning and left it and replugged it in it seems fine. But that is normal for the pattern.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Thats something I'm not familiar with, but if the behavior started after an update, that may be the culprit. I would suspect more along the lines of a cable/connector issue, or even a hardware issue in the dock or display... but thats just a general guess, and of no help. Hopefully someone with more direct knowledge will jump in here soon...... ....when was the last time you restarted your Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.