MBA Gigabit via 27" TB monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eric-PTEK, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

We were going to replace my wife's 2010 27" iMac with the new model but we've been contemplating a MB Air for her also.

We thought of a 27" TB CD in addition to a 13" Air but the big hold up was the USB Ethernet adapter.

She has the need to move a lot of data back and forth to our server. GB Ethernet is essential.

I was thinking why doesn't Apple have a TB based Gigabit controller for the MB Air, then finding out its built into the new 27" TB unit available.

Anyone using one as their network connection and how is the speed?

I'm sure this has been asked but will an Air drive 2 daisy chained 27" monitors?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes you get gigabit speeds with the thunderbolt display and no you can't drive to two 27" thunderbolt displays with any Intel HD3000 based computers (i.e. 13" MBP, Base Mac Mini, MBA's, etc). Anything with an AMD discrete graphics card can run multiple though (i.e. iMac, 15" MBP, Mid-range Mac Mini, etc)

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're driving data through it as well, the TB connection does slow down. It's been tested. The TB chip used in the Airs is different from the macbook pros and imacs. I can't recall all the details, but its bandwidth isn't as great. I'm not saying don't buy one. I would just suggest making sure you figure out if it will in fact meet your needs.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It has half the bandwidth. That's still plenty of bandwidth to drive a gigabit ethernet port, USB 2.0, firewire, etc.... It still has something like 10gbps worth of data in both directions instead of 20gbps. Please do not perpetuate false information. The only way it would be an issue is if you were driving several RAID enclosures off of it.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

This. The MBA has one 10Gbps lane compared to two 10Gbps lanes in MBP/iMac.

6. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

I could care less about total TB bandwidth, all I really care about is will I see true GB speeds over the TB interface.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Short answer then, is yes thunderbolt has the bandwidth necessary to supply a gigabit connection at full speed.

8. LordVic macrumors 601

Yes. Gigabit ethernet doesn't even begin to touch on the bandwith available on Thunderbolt.

The ethernet port on the back of the Thunderbolt Display is it's own individual controller, and runs completely independantly of any other controller in your system (Since it's running off PCI-E, and not shared USB). in Fact, you could in thoery use the Gb controller on the display and a USB powered one at the same time

9. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect thats what I wanted to know.

Thanks