MBA Has 10Gbs thunderbolt?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thunderbolt I/O technology gives you two channels on the same connector with 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Magical I/O port panel
The Aspire S5 is Acer's first Ultrabook to feature a smartly designed MagicFlip I/O port panel concealed just below the hinge. This design feature enhances the overall slenderness and streamlined form of the S5. When needed, a press of the MagicFlip key opens the panel to reveal a selection of I/O ports: HDMI®, USB 3.0 and 20 Gbps Thunderbolt.
Lol @ Marketing :D

Newly patented technology: Press key to perform action = magic...
Now I fear that my umbrella might infringe on this technology...

Wikipedia says:
Thunderbolt is interoperable with DisplayPort 1.2 compatible devices. When connected to a DisplayPort compatible device the Thunderbolt port can provide a native DisplayPort signal with 4 lanes of output data at no more than 5.4 Gbit/s per lane. When connected to a Thunderbolt device the per-lane data rate becomes 10 Gbit/s and the 4 lanes are configured as 2 channels with each bidirectional 10 Gbit/s channel comprising one lane of input and one lane of output.[3]
So, could it be 20 Gbit/s per direction in thunderbolt mode?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, could it be 20 Gbit/s per direction in thunderbolt mode?
No, as it says:
When connected to a Thunderbolt device the per-lane data rate becomes 10 Gbit/s and the 4 lanes are configured as 2 channels with each bidirectional 10 Gbit/s channel comprising one lane of input and one lane of output.[3]
2 channels (one input, one output) @ 10GBit/s each = 20 Gbit/s