MBA owners (primary machine), do you use an external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eggtastic, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2009
    as the title says...

just curious, i've been using a dell for several months now, but i feel it limits the portability as I am always using it as a desktop.

i put my dell screen up for sale on CL, and the mba will become my couch laptop.

i recently bought a new LG 47" led tv, and paired it with apple tv 3 to stream music and make use of the airplay mirroring feature that lion is bringing this july incase i do need a bigger screen for some work.

2. bogatyr, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

bogatyr macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2012
    I use a TBD with my 13" MBA whenever I'm at my desk.

One thing about a TV as a monitor - it's usually not a great deal. 1080p at 42"+ is fine for video, but not typical computer use. At least that is my opinion on it.

Also mirroring over to the ATV using ML has lag - again, no big deal for video but not great for typical computer use.
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I also use a Thunderbolt Display with my 13" MBA
    Love it
  4. jbouklas macrumors regular

Mar 2, 2002
    I dumped cable a few years ago and bought two Mac Minis- one is paired to a 37" LCD TV, and the other paired to a 32". It's great for watching TV and sites like Youtube, but it doesn't really cut it for getting work done. I am more productive on my 13" MBP than on my 37" TV, and my laptop is a bit easier on the eyes given the distance I sit from it compared with the television.

My wife uses her 11" MBA attached to a 23" monitor at work, and she loves it- gives her plenty of room at a high enough resolution to keep a bunch of windows open at once.
  5. tigres macrumors 68040

Aug 31, 2007
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    I do, but have a Q

Hey guys.

Coming from the 2010 13" as main machine. I use the Moshi mini connector to HDMI with a Sony 32" HD google tv.

Will I continue to use this adapter with the 2012 TB port as well?
  6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2012
    Yes, the mDP-> HDMI adapter should work with the TB port.
  7. ctdw macrumors member

Nov 7, 2009
    I use my MacBook Air 13 with a Thunderbolt Display when at the office and it's a great combination. I only use it without the display when I am out of the office.
  8. palpatine macrumors 68040

May 3, 2011
    I used to use external displays, but for my work, I don't really need them. For me, it is just a waste of money. For others, it might be useful. It depends on what you are doing.
  9. bossxii macrumors 68000

Nov 9, 2008
    Kansas City
    While I enjoy using the MBA when I travel, at the office I hook up to a 27" Tbolt display and the plan at home will be to use mirroring once Mt. Lion drops next month to a 42" LCD TV in the office at home.

I've only had the 12' MBA for a day now but zero issues with running in clamshell, much quieter than my 2010 (skipped the 11's) and fast as ever.
  10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2011
    TBD paired with a 13" Air 2011.

Aside from a few oddities here and there (like once in a while not recognizing my mouse, or after unplugging, the Air acts a little weird), it's a great combo.
  11. JDrive macrumors member

Jun 3, 2010
    I will be using a NEC PA301W with my MBA, 30" is very nice for software development. I will hopefully get my secondary monitor, an ASUS PA246Q, working in portrait mode with a USB to DVI adapter.