MBA running too hot, after previous 6 months of cool.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yegon, Jan 30, 2012.

1. yegon, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

yegon macrumors 68020

I've a 2011 13" 1.8ghz i7, bought at launch. Until about a week ago, it'd typically run at about 50-55 degrees c when I'm using just Safari & iTunes, fans at default 2000rpm. Now it's ALWAYS at about 85+ and the fans are spinning up to about 3200. If I quit everything its still staying 80+. Battery, inevitably, is taking a massive hit. Suggestions?

All else fails, I'll have to take it to the Apple store

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

And like THAT, it's solved! Cheers.

Duh, can't believe I hadn't tried that already.

Aah, running at 42 degrees now, lovely.

4. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

What was it?

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

This! What was it - let us know...

6. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

It was something called KiesWifiAgent, no doubt related to the (ghastly) Kies software I installed last week after getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (the latest one with the 1280x800 Super Amoled Plus Display).

The WifiAgent was using a shocking 90% CPU time in the background. What had stumped me was that it survived reboots, just have to remember to kill it when I restart, or dig around in the preferences to disable it. Given I reboot about once or twice or month, it's not an issue. Its nice having my icy cool mba back though, can't believe I stupidly ignored it for a week and forgot the most obvious solution!

7. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

for me it was always something in dashboardclient. Ironically I used to have task manager on the pc open constantly, so keeping activity monitor opened isn't a large change. I guess I'm disappointed that this is necessary on a mac at all.