MBA running too hot, after previous 6 months of cool.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
I've a 2011 13" 1.8ghz i7, bought at launch. Until about a week ago, it'd typically run at about 50-55 degrees c when I'm using just Safari & iTunes, fans at default 2000rpm. Now it's ALWAYS at about 85+ and the fans are spinning up to about 3200. If I quit everything its still staying 80+. Battery, inevitably, is taking a massive hit. Suggestions?

All else fails, I'll have to take it to the Apple store

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

yegon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
And like THAT, it's solved! Cheers.

Duh, can't believe I hadn't tried that already.

Aah, running at 42 degrees now, lovely.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
It was something called KiesWifiAgent, no doubt related to the (ghastly) Kies software I installed last week after getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (the latest one with the 1280x800 Super Amoled Plus Display).

The WifiAgent was using a shocking 90% CPU time in the background. What had stumped me was that it survived reboots, just have to remember to kill it when I restart, or dig around in the preferences to disable it. Given I reboot about once or twice or month, it's not an issue. Its nice having my icy cool mba back though, can't believe I stupidly ignored it for a week and forgot the most obvious solution!

jterp7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
It was something called KiesWifiAgent, no doubt related to the (ghastly) Kies software I installed last week after getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (the latest one with the 1280x800 Super Amoled Plus Display).

The WifiAgent was using a shocking 90% CPU time in the background. What had stumped me was that it survived reboots, just have to remember to kill it when I restart, or dig around in the preferences to disable it. Given I reboot about once or twice or month, it's not an issue. Its nice having my icy cool mba back though, can't believe I stupidly ignored it for a week and forgot the most obvious solution!
for me it was always something in dashboardclient. Ironically I used to have task manager on the pc open constantly, so keeping activity monitor opened isn't a large change. I guess I'm disappointed that this is necessary on a mac at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.