MBA vs rMBP vs Lenovo X1 Carbon - for business school?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by smdewart, Jun 14, 2013.

1. smdewart macrumors newbie

Hi - debating btw the following for business school (MBA):

- MacBook Air 13" (Haswell)
    - Retina MacBook Pro 13" (current)
    - Lenovo X1 Carbon

Business school is very much Excel-based, and Excel is a lot better on Windows. That said, I'm a Mac fanatic, and would prefer to imagine that this computer will be for more than b-school.

I certainly can run Windows via Parallels, but if I'm using Windows a lot on a Mac, would it be worthwhile just... to get a Lenovo?

2. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Not sure if I'm helping at all but the new Lenovo Yoga 11s looks sweet.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

There is always office for Mac and you can also put windows on your mac. If you go windows you cannot get OSX. I would say get the Air and enjoy the best of both worlds.

The trackpad alone is enough of a reason to go with a Mac. I recently went through the same dilemma and made the mistake of getting the windows laptop. It only took me 24 hours to realize it was better to stick with a mac and just bootcamp if needed.

The retina really sounds like it will serve you no use. The battery life of the Haswell chips is fantastic, or you can just wait until the retina refresh comes. I would say save the cash and get an Air though.

4. barrk macrumors member

I had the same situation and also choose to pick a windows laptop (Lenovo) as well and ended up selling it after ~4 months because using windows 8 just drove me insane.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I know a lot of people do not like windows 8, but I personally do not mind it at all. My biggest issue is that the trackpads that accompany the laptops seems ultra sensitive. I often found myself doing a gesture that would bring up a touch window; that was very annoying.

6. barrk macrumors member

Yea the windows 8 laptops do it all the time, it makes me want to pull my hair out

7. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Macbook Air, and use vmware or parrallels for the windows office suite, best of both worlds , I had a 2011 model with 4 gb and I could run a windows 7 VM with no issues whatsoever, I just bought the new model and its even better.

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

Lenovo gives you a choice of Win 7 or 8.

Having a preference, I ordered my ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Win 7, it's awesome. I've had it just over ten days, used it hard at work and been very pleased. I also have a 15" MBPr for work. It's my personal favorite, yet I'm a bit biased.

In corp & college environment, especially for native windows apps ThinkPads have been my laptop of choice for years. You cannot go wrong.

9. Serrat macrumors newbie

Have been taken an MBA this year myself, and I did it with a Win8 machine. A lot of my class mates was using different Macs without to much hassle, but there are several differences in the OSX version of Office. For everything else, OSX is better imo, so I would recommend you a MBA with Win in Parallels or Boot camp. I'm just waiting to get back home to receive my MBA, one year with Windows in enough!

10. Dwinguel macrumors member

Dwinguel

I would go for the MacBook Air if it's mostly for office work. I would agree with barrk saying that Windows will drive you insane so you are better off sticking with a Mac.

The MBA is better for portability and cheaper. Unless you really need the retina display, there isn't much reason to get the 13" MBP.

Not sure you really need to run Excel on Windows... but if you really think the difference is so huge that you need to it's up to you.

11. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend getting the new MBAs announced this week. The rMBP isn't going to give you any advantage with what you are doing and the Lenovo won't give you the totally bonkers battery life of the new MBA. Make sure to get the 8gb ram update and use parallels to spin a version of windows and load it up with Office.

Unless you are doing stuff with crazy large data sets, you shouldn't notice a difference. You get the best of both worlds this way and you get extra portability.

12. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

Windows under Parallels will get you through the program no problem. Your new MBA will be at least as powerful as many of the recent Windows laptops. You'll almost certainly need Office for Windows for plug-in compatibility with Excel and Access, but you can get a 4-year subscription to Office 365 which includes two full installs of Office for $80. Get the MBA for your MBA!

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Where can you get that deal? It's $99 a year...link me to this $80 for 4 years

14. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

15. ethel8 macrumors newbie