MBA2,1 Mid 2009 boots only 1 out of 20 times.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gortumbo, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Gortumbo macrumors newbie

Gortumbo

I seek troubleshooting help with this MacBook Air2,1 (Mid 2009) that my brother gave me.

On average, it will only boot up one out of 20 attempts.

Here's what a failed boot attempt is like:

Push the power button. The "sleep mode" light in front glows (not fluctuating in intensity) for 10 seconds, then goes off for 3 seconds, then glows again continuously until I turn it off with the power button again.

I hear the cooling fan run when the sleep mode light glows. The cooling fan has a loose bearing, I think, as it sounds as if one of the fan louvers is striking something during rotation.

No other things happen. No lights under the keyboard. Nothing appears on the screen.

This runs El Capitan.

2. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

I have a mid-2013 MBA and early 2013 MBA and don't see a front LED. I didn't know they had this feature, only the Macbook Pro.

3. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Which Macbook Air ever carried a front led? Or did you mean the facetime light. Besides, did you try to start the Mac in Safe Mode to verify issues?

4. Gortumbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Gortumbo

This macbook air does indeed have a LED on the front. Look on page 12 of this pdf manual: https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA658/en_US/MacBook_Air_Late2008_UserGuide.pdf

Yes. I tried to boot this one into safe mode. I tried all sorts of alternate boot methods, like diagnostic boot and so on. The results are exactly the same: failure as I describe above.

5. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Well, honestly than try to backup your data the one out of 20 times it boots up successfully and get yourself a new one. Same counts for me once I face some problems.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You've probably got a case of RAM solder joints failing. I've got one of these too, and i've had to bake the board a few times to re-flow the joints. It was a fairly common issue for this generation of MacBook Air.

7. Gortumbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Gortumbo

Thanks for your help, y'all. Now I'm gonna look into board baking.