MBP 11' 15 inch fan noise sounds like it's rubbing something

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by citizenal, Mar 2, 2011.

1. citizenal macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

Just got my new MBP 2011 15 inch and everything was running smoothly, that is until I listened closely to what sounds like the fan is hitting something and making a low humming clicking sound. When I installed SMC fan control the clicking sound became louder and at a faster rate, which leads me to believe it is rubbing something or the fan is defective. :( Anybody else have this problem on their new MBP's. Should I wait it out to see if it goes away? I'm really sad that I got a perfect body without any marks and now I have this. I guess I'll just wait it out for a couple of days and then call apple. I would bring it into the apple store, but I don't think they keep the i7's with 8 gb of ram in stock.

2. citizenal thread starter macrumors regular

No one? Am I the only one with this problem? Dang.

3. Cantisama macrumors member

The only weird sound I'm hearing from mine sounds like a tiny cymbal is being hit. I don't think it's the fan though, probably the hdd. It's weird cause it doesn't sound like the normal click of death. During gaming when the 6490M kicks in and the fan goes full speed I don't notice any weird sound from the fan (other than it's really loud). If no one else replies I would say take it to an Apple store.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I'd go to the Apple store and have them listen to see if they can explain the noise. Couldn't hurt to do so.