MBP 11 - random pops and clicks when idle, listening to music, or browsing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tresnotas, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tresnotas, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

tresnotas macrumors newbie

I get random pops and clicks every once in a while like about 1 every 5 minutes, though it really varies. I thought it was chrome or flash related, but the issue appears even when no music is playing or i'm not browsing, and also happens when music is playing through itunes etc.
    I installed the software called antipop that is supposed to fix this issue, but it didn't.

Anyone experiencing this problem, or know any possible fixes? I feel like some weird processes running in the background causing this or sth.

I've also realized I don't get the pops and clicks when playing Call of Duty, it seems to happen when i'm doing normal tasks on Mac. The pops and clicks are not too loud, but quite noticeable and starting to get a little annoying, but still bearable.

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can you elaborate on what a pop or click is like record it happening?

3. T-bag Guest

Is it a metal against metal sound? Many people have noticed such a sound when touching or lifting the MBP. Search around if this sounds like that. I solved it by placing a little piece of tape on the inside of the bottom case over the affected area.

If this is your problem it isn't anything to worry about, but the sound is frustrating. You should be able to identify it by pressing carefully on the middle of the bottom case, even if the machine is off.

4. tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's definitely nothing mechanical or related to the unibody. It's sort of static sound produced by the operation system. It resembles the static noise/click you hear when you plug in the headphones - like when it makes the first connection to audio jack you hear a little static sound for a very short time. It is very much like that, so that is the best I can describe it I think. (Just happened again). It like lasts for 10 ms, just a guess. (Just happened again). It is not very loud, but when I have the headphones on I can certainly hear it. I think it's not just audio jack related either as I recall hearing it without the headphones on full volume.

I found a few threads of the similar issue (which could be the same issue), where people are arguing that it's a Mac OS issue - it's what I think too. But I don't know why not everyone is experiencing it then. (I have a few music production software installed, so maybe that's causing a glitch in the system). (It just happened again)

Here's the related thread.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11202346

I will probably call Apple to see what they say, but I am not sure if they will have enough info on the issue. It's intermittent which makes it harder to reproduce/resolve. (Just happened again)

5. T-bag Guest

I have noticed some sounds from that area when the cpu is working. And a little whistle-like sound when the fans are at high speed. Hasn't bothered me though. The cpu-sound sounds normal to me though. You say it occurs randomly every 5 minutes, and thats not the cause here.

Call apple, they will help you. If you need more help here I suggest you upload a recording of the sound if you can. Youtube for instance.

Good luck! :)

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My $0.02
    If you are able reinstall OSX

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

My $0.02
    If you are able reinstall OSX

8. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem with my 2008 MBP. Especially when using external speakers of any kind or headphones. There was always this slight hissing in the background. Then right before any sound would start, there was a pop. Imagine popping a balloon, but about 90% quieter. I used to DJ on occasion and this was causing a major problem, not to mention whenever I plugged the MBP into my TV to watch something there was the constant hissing. The first time to the Apple store they keep my computer for almost a week, they replaced the sound shielding and the speakers. Problem still there. The second time the sound board was replaced. Problem still there. The third trip was not specifically for the sound, but it was also still an issue, so the logic board was replaced, the sound board, the speakers, and the top casing and trackpad. They had my computer for two weeks which was not acceptable as I am a student. Sound still a problem. So finally, thank God for AppleCare, in December of 2010 they replaced my 2008 MBP with a brand new 2010 MBP and I have not heard the sound since.

9. tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think reinstalling Mac OS could do it. I'll keep observing the issue, and call Apple and try reinstalling the OS if it gets too annoying. For now I probably will hesitate from giving the computer to Apple for repair, since I don't want to lose time while they are trying to fix it. Down the road I can always have them service it if I decide it gets too annoying.

@Silverbird: Yeah my issue is similar except I don't have the hissing, so it's more bearable. Was reinstalling the operation system sth you or Apple tried when the were trying to fix the issue?

10. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

11. tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, actually I was really hopeful when I came across that program while researching the issue. I installed it, but it didn't fix it. So maybe the issue is different, or the program is not compatible with Snow Leopard.

12. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Have you made sure it's running? I'm running it right now because the damn pop / static annoyed me whenever the sound was powered off or on.

13. tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I run it? I just installed it and assumed that it was running the code in the background that sends messages to play silent sound every 15 seconds or so to keep the audio system on. Do I actually need to start it or how can I check that it's running?

14. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Open a terminal and type without the quotes: "ps aux | grep antipop"
    You should get something like this
    Code:
    meteor:~ snip$ ps aux | grep antipop
    snip     10799   0.0  0.0  2435120    524 s000  R+  2:28PM   0:00.00 grep antipop
    root     10789   0.0  0.0  2435548    712   ??  Ss    2:28PM   0:00.00 /bin/bash /usr/local/bin/antipopd

If there is only the one for grep antipop listed then it's not running.

15. tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I got when I run that command. So it's running then?

Attached Files:

16. Moodikar macrumors regular

Only with Outlook...

I hear these sounds on my 11.6 inch MBA with a flash drive but only when I open Microsoft Outlook. I don't hear it with any other program and it seems only when it is checking for mail and not when it's idling.

It sounds like a skip of a hard drive (but obviously not since there is no moving hard drive installed). It's very strange.

17. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's running. Guess there is another issue then :( Sorry

18. Gugulino macrumors member

Gugulino

Mobile

Sometimes mobile phones are causing noise when they are close to a speaker.

19. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I reinstalled the OS and so did Apple on one of the multiple occasions they had my MBP. Nothing fixed the sound issues. I also tried the antipop software and it did not help. Apple came to the conclusions that my MBP was defective and gave me a replacement. The new 2010 model has none of the sound issues my 2008 had.

20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I have my 2011 MBP for about 2 weeks and I hear no poping(?) sounds.

I tried listening to music and videos through speaker and headphones but I hear nothing...

21. tresnotas, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i don't know if i have a defective unit, or it's because of the programs i installed or sth. sometimes i don't get the sound at all for an hour or two, and sometimes i will get it like every minute. i think it is specific to certain tasks, and happens most when i'm browsing the web, but also happens when idle. really not sure what's the cause. to me it seems more of a software problem, and since everything else is working pretty well i don't want to get into repairing or returning it over this yet.

22. tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Late at night I am observing that I am getting a click sound in my headphones each time the refrigerator in the house turns on. So that explains at least part of the clicks, if not all - I don't know why it would be that i would sometimes get them every minute.

I've had read a thread with a guy figuring out the problem was due to wash machine turning on in their house. My issue seems to be the same.

I don't know how I would make it so that the other electronics in the house don't effect my laptop..

23. Gugulino macrumors member

Gugulino

Outside

Have you tried to take your Notebook outside? Somewhere where no electronical machines can interfere with your Mac?

24. tresnotas thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I haven't had the chance yet. I tried to run it without the adapter though, and I recall getting some pops then too, but I need to do some more observing when it's not plugged in.