MBP: 128MB Vram (old) vs 256MB Vram | 4Gb Ram: advise | Vista on Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dasmenneke, Mar 2, 2008.

1. dasmenneke macrumors newbie

I'm doubting between buying the old 2.2 Ghz with 128Mb Vram and the new base penryn with 256Mb Vram, want to play: COD4 at decent resolution, settings low.
    Any experience ?

Ram: searched the forums and came onto this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134605
    any recommendations for better/faster but not helluvalot more expensive ?
    Would the additional ram perhaps also help a bit with videogames ?
    And is it true that mac only supports up2 3Gb ?

Vista: :apple: + Bootcamp + Vista = Love ? I'd prefer XP but since XP only supports upto 3Gb of ram (or XP 64-Bit edition which is supposed to be crap ...) I'm probably going to buy Vista premium should I buy the 64 bit edition ?
    (again, any experience)

thx alot !

(btw: I tried to post earlier but I can't find it anywhere, excuse me if it is "out there" cause I looked and looked but can't find it :s new to the forum :eek:)

EDIT: :eek:::eek::eek::eek::eek: just clicked on my name and found the other post :eek: if any mod is here you can delete this ... sorry :$

2. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Vista 64 would show you all 4GB of ram, but you still don't get to use it all. It reserves memory for device addresses and other tasks.

Here's a good article on the subject -

http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

3. mbrydone macrumors regular

i dunno...i doubt the XP 64 bit could be worse than any breed of Vista!

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Both MBPs should perform fine in COD4. It does on mine, just don't expect to run max settings. And running ATItool in order to clock the GPU up to normal speeds really helps as well. :)

5. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I put Vista on my new MBP in Boot Camp and it runs great. My Windows Experience Index is a 5.0 which I think is pretty good. I'm on the base model with the 256 vram.

6. a4abt macrumors regular

Running ATItool on an NVidia GPU?

7. NKA macrumors member

I too am looking at installing Vista x64. The main problem will be drivers, specificaly the new multi-touchpad, bluetooth, sound and the iSight camera.

Anyone know if Apple has added 64bit Vista drivers for the new Penryn MacBook Pro's like they did when they released Penryn Mac Pro?

Neal