MBP 13" - 320GB HDD vs. ordering online and getting a 500 - 750 GB HDD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, Apr 19, 2011.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in finally purchasing an MBP. It would be the base model 13" MBP with i5 processor (current computer is a PC from 2010 with i3 processor and 320GB HDD). My debate is whether to buy in store and get the model with the 320GB HDD or build a custom MBP online and upgrade to the 500 or 750 GB HDD. I tend to think that the more storage capacity the better, and that that keeps it more future proof, but even on my current PC I have 194 GB free of 267, lol, so I'm wondering if I might as well just buy the base, 320GB model in store?

What would you do? Part of me is just impatient and likes to get things in store vs. in the mail; but part of me also wonders whether it's worth the wait and money to upgrade when chances are I won't use the extra space...yet I know it's always good to have....

2. hashholly macrumors 6502

Get the base with the 320GB, and if you need more space get an aftermarket drive later, and do a self install. It'll be cheaper than going through apple, you'll get a faster drive, and you will have an extra drive that you can use for TM backups, or anything else for that matter.

3. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you - I didn't know how easy it was to change the HDD yourself. Thanks for the response :)

4. rex450se macrumors regular

Also, you can get the base 13" for $999 from Micro Center, depending on where you live, and upgrade to not only a bigger hard drive but a faster one also for less than you would have paid having Apple build it for you.

Victor

Other places, including the Apple Store, will price match Micro Center since it is an authorized reseller.

5. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the heads up! I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if I will be able to do that but I will look into it. I appreciate the help.

6. hashholly macrumors 6502

Yeah, its not difficult if you have the correct tools (screwdriver and torx screwdriver if its anything like the 2010 MBP.

7. Koning macrumors member

It's really quite easy to change the HDD and even Apple agrees this is something you can do yourself, since it won't void warranty.

Just take the 320GB HDD and when the moment comes you want to change it to more, just do it. It's very easy and you can do it safely.

8. DarkFlame macrumors regular

What you REALLY need to do, is move that 320GB over to your optibay and put a SSD drive to boot from :) SSDS HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE. Esp my OCZ 120GB Vertex 3

9. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a