MBP 13" crashes randomly with LG Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RSD765, Apr 21, 2011.

1. RSD765 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2010 13" MBP that I often connect to a 23" LG LED display (E2360) that seems to freeze randomly. During use, both the MBP display and the LG will turn white (usually) and sometimes blue or black. Disconnecting the LG will not cause the MBP to re-detect monitors and automatically fix, nor will key combinations let me restart/put to sleep the computer. I am forced to manually shut down the computer with the power key and restart. I'm using a Dynex Mini-Display to HDMI adapter.

I've noticed that the problem only occurs when using the LG display AND the MBP display. The problem does not happen when running in clamshell mode and just using the LG display.

Any thoughts?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You mean probably the Mid-2010.

It looks like it has something to do with the software which controls the machine functions, i.e. the MBP firmware. However, the Mac OS X kernel initializes also some hardware functions, so a simple Mac OS X (Combo) update could solve your problem.

Are you sure you have the latest Mac OS X version and all possible firmware updates?

3. RSD765 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, sorry, Mid-2010. I bought it at the end of 2010 so I associate the two together.

Software Update says no update available. Running OS X 10.6.7

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Does this happen with a clean installation of Mac OS X 10.6.7 (on an external drive, for example)?

5. skyc280 macrumors newbie

I have this problem too but it's not with LG monitor but with a BenQ monitor.

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Sometimes when I resume from sleep, or even boot...in clam mode, the light comes on on the laptop.

Annoying.

7. RSD765 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have not tried a clean install. Seems a little... much?

8. RSD765 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. treichert macrumors 6502

This has been a known issue with the 2010 13inch MBPs and the Apple Discussion Boards are full of this.

I suffer the same problem ever since getting this MBP in last May, changing the RAM and logicboard haven't helped, but according to the Apple Bug Reporting team, Apple is investigating this issue and working on a fix.

What seemed to help in my case was - as ridiculous as it sounds - to always keep a QuickTime window open.