MBP 13 i5 with 128 SSD or i7 with 500gb HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevenpa, Jun 30, 2011.

1. stevenpa macrumors 6502

If you had to choose one which one would you take and why?

Waiting for MBA as well and will get that if it has 4gb memory and 256 SSD at a reasonable price.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I would take the i5 with a SSD; for my daily activity(start-up, opening programs...nothing that is super CPU intensive) it would be much faster.

3. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

What are you using it for?

Video editing with FCP X? Take the 4-core i7.

The graphics card in the 15" is much better than the integrated graphics on the 13".

If you don't do any demanding things, you will be fine with both of them but you probably won't need the juice of the 15". And probably you won't need the speed of the SSD.

What are your storage needs is another point to consider.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

He didn't say anything about getting a 15"...

5. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I considered the same question and left with the i5 and ssd. The benefits of the SSD are more useful for me as I rarely do any processor intensive tasks. SSD speeds up my everyday processes such as opening and closing programs, starting and shutting down, and opening and saving documents/spreadsheets.

6. stevenpa thread starter macrumors 6502

15'' is too big (on one now and I need something light!) and not worth the money imo given the weak graphics cards.

No major video editing (and if I do I have Premiere), 128 gb is a bit low be doable.

I was thinking the i5 SSD as well but it all depends on what the new MBA goes with. Just been waiting forever :eek:

7. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I don't foresee the MBA being too cheap with that configs... I would get a $999 i5 13" from microcenter if possible, buy an aftermarket SSD and 8 gb of ram. Install those yourself and call it a day.:)

8. jdelgado macrumors regular

I guess it will depend on how long you plan to keep the MBP. In general, I would choose the i7. Processor is not upgradeable and I can upgrade de drive myself at a later time.