MBP 13'' Inch (Early 2011) Optical Audio? and HDMI Only audio? (2 Questions)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mathiasb2, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mathiasb2 macrumors newbie

Hey Mac guys!

I am making myself a little "Home Cinema Media"-Setup in my room, and i wanted to know if the Early 2011 MBP 13'' Model comes with optical audio? i've heard that its integrated in the normal audio out? is that true?

My second question is.. Can i connect my MBP to my surround sound system with hdmi? if i only want to hear music instead of that i have to insert it to my HDTV so i also see it on the monitor??

Thanks in advance,
    - Mathias

2. c7aea macrumors regular

You can use something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-To-Optical-Mini-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

Im sorry I dont really follow your 2nd question. you want to go from mini display port to HDMI? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JDRCKGB28QKZNCDS3EF

3. mathiasb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply! on the second question.. i already have the Mini Display Port to HDMI, but i want to know if i can connect my HDMI to my Surround receiver and then use it as Audio only? :)

4. c7aea macrumors regular

If you already have the parts just give it a try and see if it works....

5. mathiasb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. i have the Macbook and the Mini Display to HDMI, but not the surround sound, so that why i need to know, hehe :D

And a second thought on the question/answer on the Optical Audio.. are you sure that i can use that Mini toslink? because i dont see any red light in my Audio in/out? so i really dont wanna waste some money on a cable that im just gonna through away :p

6. c7aea macrumors regular

Thats the same adapter I use on my MBP. I use it to go from my MBP to a DAC to a tube amp for my headphones, works great.
    If you are going to buy a surround sound system I would just use optical to the receiver.

7. mathiasb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright im not that good at all this HIFI stuff.. :D But i guess DAC is some kind of converter thing? :p But my only curiousity is if it really takes optical audio? because nothing is said on the specification, and i heard they've taken it out of the MBP?? Or does that mini toslink work as a 3.5mm Mini Jack or something?? and then "converts" it into the optical audio?? just like the Mini Display port converts to hdmi with that adapter? :)

8. c7aea macrumors regular

Yes a DAC is digital(optical) to Analog converter. Which would be the same as your receiver in your home entertainment system.
    From apples site: "Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output)"
    The adapter I showed you is only to connect a 3.5mm jack to a standard optical cable. You can buy optical cables with the 3.5mm plug as one end.
    Any time you go from digital to analog or the other way around you need some kind of converter to do so.

9. mathiasb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually i've just found out that i dont even have a receiver with the system im gonna buy.. but do i need a DAC? or can i just put my "Mini Toslink adapter" to my Optical audio cable, and the put it into my system?

The system im gonna buy is
    http://www.meetgadget.com/gadget/24429/Sony+HT-AF5/specs

10. c7aea macrumors regular

Its built into the back of the sub...and in the specs it says it has Optical SPDIF input which is what you want.

11. mathiasb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright.. so what i need is a Optical Audio Cable, and an Adapter so it fits into my MAC.. and then ill just put it into my sub? :)

12. c7aea macrumors regular

Correct. Just make sure you get a long enough cable depending on your setup. Because it is a digital signal you don't need some real expensive and fancy cable. Its not the same as analog.

13. mathiasb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, do i need a fancy expensive cable for a HDMI then? as i also want to have HDMI so i can use it as a media center for movies etc.

14. c7aea macrumors regular

Nope, HDMI is also digital. It wont be a problem for say a 10ft cable. But if you want to go maybe 50ft you might have issues.

15. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

This cable would work as I used it with a black macbook and the current MBP.
    mini toslink to optical

Just select the length of your choice.