MBP 13" keeps creaking when I rest my palms/pick it up by the corner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, May 10, 2011.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

I've noticed this behavior on a daily basis: whenever I rest my palms on both sides there's a creak every now and then when I shift the weight in my hands

also, when i pick up my mbp on the sides, the thing creaks (sounds like a tiny cracking sound) - are the screws on the bottom loose?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

really sorry about the triple post - the internet here's been laggy and I didn't realize the other 2 had been posted..

it's a 2010MBP (2.4C2D) and i've used it mildly for the past 7 months - never dropped it before, just regular college student who carries it around in a backpack around campus

4. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

5. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I have the same problem with my 15" 2010. Its this weird cracking noise. ive noticed it the most when i am in bed with it. i rest a palm on it, and there noise is. random guess is that the bottom plate is grinding along the unibody, but i dunno, thats what it sounds like.

Before someone says it, no it is not the sudden motion sensor triggering, i have tested that.

6. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

To me it sounds like if I push it a little further, it will crack.

7. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

exactly my problem - and yes it is not the motion sensor triggering noise either (this is a legitimate cracking nose) - i'm guessing you've had your MBP for about 5-7 months? have you done anything about it?

8. The-Pro macrumors 65816

ive had mine for just over a year now actually!!! i noticed it at the right at the beginning, and it really bugged me, especially because i found numerous things which i found that seemed weird, like the black rubber between the bezel and the screen housing is uneven.
    at one point i didnt notice it anymore, because i have headphones on a fair amount. also it seemed to happen the most when the MBP was placed on soft surfaces, like my bed.
    i havnt tried fixing it in any way

9. mape2k macrumors regular

Could very well be the ground connectors between the logic board and the casing. This has been reported by numerous users to be the cause.

A video on how to fix it has been posted on youtube.

10. The-Pro macrumors 65816

11. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Wait...

Those grounding points are supposed to touch the bottom plate, and conduct?

And then he insulates it with electrical tape, preventing grounding?

Am I missing something?

Don't stop do this fix until this question is cleared up.

12. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Yeh I was wondering that aswell, im not doing it yet. Its not that much of a bummer.

13. mape2k macrumors regular

thats true, it is a connection between the circuitry of the logic board and ground shield (being the metal back plate of the MBP). As I have heard (somebody else posted this on this forum) this is not the only connection between the back plate and the circuitry and thus it is redundant and it is safe to be removed.

Of course, thats just from the forums and not an official statement. I would check with Apple before I would apply any tape. Of course you could always use conductive tape to be on the safe side.