MBP 13" vs Lenovo Y50: In need of Non Bias Opinions Please! Can't decide & Need Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Finox831, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Finox831 macrumors member

Hey all, so here are my two options, and some might think I have lost my mind because there is such a difference in specs between both that it would make the Y50 a no brainer, thing is, I've been a MAC user for the past 5~ years and I have never had any problems (terms of crashing, getting viruses, etc) and I really enjoy the build qualtiy and how light the MBP is compared to these other bulkier Window PC's.

I mostly play League of Legends right now but that's because I'm so restricted on games with my MAC. I'm also currently in College so a laptop that I can connect to my monitors at home and be able to disconnect and take to school is something that I consider a win win for me (I must note, I also have a Samsung S 10.5 Tablet, have thought about using this as my school "laptop" but not sure how efficient it would be). I also do photography and edit videos, I work with Photoshop, Lightroom and iMovie most of the time, sometimes Final Cut.

Laptop #1: Lenovo Y50 non touch screen (1267$ after tax) Comes with Quad-Core I7 2.4ghz, 256gb flash storage, 16gb RAM and a Geforce GTX 860M.

Laptop #2: MBP 13" Retina ($1300): Dual-Core i5 2.6ghz, 128gb Flash storage, 8gb of Ram and a Intel Iris graphic card thats attached to motherboard (could play league of legends from what I know).

Now, obviously, the Lenovo has much better specs, but the thing about Windows that I've felt is I always seem to get stuff wrong...something always freezes or crashes or get blue screens, etc. I haven't had a single incident in the past 6 years with MAC. MAC also offers a better retina display screen, the Lenovo screen is really really crappy from what I know. On the other hand, being able to play whatever game I want at decent settings is nice...just not sure how editing would be on a windows pc. I'm confused as heck and I don't know what to choose! I love how light the MBP and the build quality it offers too but I do lose out on performance compared to the Lenovo, however, the Lonovo is also builkier and heavier and has a plastic exterior.

HELP ANYONE??! :(

2. cbecklund macrumors newbie

First of all, I wouldn't be comparing the y50 and the 13 inch rMBP. My friend has a y50 and it feels bigger than my 15 inch rMBP. As far as screens go, the Y50 screen is borderline awful, the viewing angles are bad (even compared to the old MacBook Pros).

However, if you plan on gaming a lot, I'd forget the 13 rMBP

It really depends on what you plan on doing more.

3. Finox831 thread starter macrumors member

You're saying the Y50 is way bigger and heavier than the MBP 15"? The screen doesn't really matter all that much to me because I'll usually have it closed and connected to my dual monitors at home.

4. Haeralis macrumors newbie

After seeing digital foundries terrible Y50 review, I'd suggest staying far away from it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-review/#!bp8dLM

I was in the same situation, and ended up choosing the MBP.

As a gamer myself, I was initially looking for something that had great specs, but they really don't do you any good at all when the screen is as bad as the Y50's is.

5. cube macrumors G5

The only Lenovos I consider are the ThinkPads (good experience with the budget Edge range, but if you want power you'll have to pay more than that).