Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those purchasing/considering a 32GB 14" or 16" MBP: M1 Pro or M1 Max?

  • M1 Pro

    Votes: 32 47.8%
  • M1 Max

    Votes: 35 52.2%

  • Total voters
    67

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2002
679
1,412
So, the new MBP's are looking pretty amazing, but let's be honest, they're also pretty expensive, particularly if you need more RAM or a faster SOC. Given that it's $400(!) to go from 16GB -> 32GB of ram, bringing the total cost to an eye watering $2399 for the 14" model with the base M1 Pro SOC (8C/14C) or $2699 for the fully enabled M1 Pro SOC (10C/16C), I can't help but feel that if you're already spending that much, it just makes more sense to get the M1 Max.

Personally I blew past my budget and ordered an M1 Max, although I'll be test driving it/reading reviews to see if its really worth it for me and my use case before making a final decision.

So, for those of you who want a MBP with 32GB of ram, how are all of you feeling?
 

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
478
475
Netherlands
I'm holding off until the benchmarks release next week. Then I'm going to decide which 14" configuration I'm going to buy.

Especially curious about the difference between the CPU and GPU cores.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Malus120

n3sh

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2016
70
195
I agree. at that point might as well spend $200.
Not only that but it is supposed to double the bandwidth from 200GBps to 400GBps

I am dev as well and ordered Pro/16 and Max/32. Not sure which one I'll keep.
Any thoughts ?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Malus120

deepblue09

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
4
1
I am an app developer and will have to get 32Gb RAM for my needs on a 16" machine...Also wondering if adding a bit more for the MAX is worth it. Does the extra bandwidth help with CPU tasks at all???

PS: I think the MAX also adds capability for 4 screens (which I dont need, I use 2 external 1440p displays :p)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Malus120

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
411
290
Spain
I agree. at that point might as well spend $200.
Not only that but it is supposed to double the bandwidth from 200GBps to 400GBps

I am dev as well and ordered Pro/16 and Max/32. Not sure which one I'll keep.
Any thoughts ?
I think you will keep pro 16.
I have just ordered both too, and then cancelled max 32.
As developer I was just fine with m1 8gb, so pro 16gb will be already an incredible machine.
Max is for me a lot of marketing..
 
  • Like
Reactions: n3sh

PikachuEXE

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
38
12
M1 Max is more for video/3D guys more than web developers IMO.
14" is lighter and smaller so I will take that over 16".
In my work extra core sometimes/seldom adds enough benefit for performance (except compiling binaries for Docker images but I only do that at most weekly with not much urgency).
The only thing I am not so sure is the memory bandwidth's impact.
 
  • Like
Reactions: deepblue09

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
3,019
3,192
M1 Pro for me.

I'm a software developer and don't care much for extra GPUs. If macOS ever gets AAA games, I will definitely start to buying higher-end GPU SoCs.
would you feel good enough with 8cores ? i mean the upgrade from 8c to 10c is "just" 250 euros...but then im not sure its gonna make a big difference for compiling etc ?
 

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
608
637
Gone for 14" 32GB 1TB Pro. Was tempted by the extra 200 for the max but I don't think the extra graphics core would be of any benefit to me and I doubt the doubled memory bandwidth would either. If tests show a big difference I will return and stump up the extra £200
 

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
685
429
I expect at most ~80% M1 Pro & ~20% M1 Max.

Why? Because of cost. ;)

Kidding aside almost everyone upgrading to these laptops will be coming from a Intel Mac sold within the last dozen or so years.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ShiggyMiyamoto

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
2,587
5,348
would you feel good enough with 8cores ? i mean the upgrade from 8c to 10c is "just" 250 euros...but then im not sure its gonna make a big difference for compiling etc ?
M1 Pro on 16” has 10. That’s what I’m buying.
 

PikachuEXE

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
38
12
would you feel good enough with 8cores ? i mean the upgrade from 8c to 10c is "just" 250 euros...but then im not sure its gonna make a big difference for compiling etc ?
I "want" to see if that 2 extra performance cores would make a difference in compiling.
But I don't "need" them.
I do "need" 1TB SSD & 32 GB RAM (well not sure about RAM but to be safe :S)
 

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
3,019
3,192
It's interesting that the differentiator between the M1 Pro and M1 Max is mostly GPU-focused. If the M1 Max had a more powerful CPU, I'd be a lot more tempted to upgrade.
as always what apple sees as true pros are videographers. which is why the max has double the gpu ,double the bandwidth ,double the media encoders (truly intersting that one)
 

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
1,883
2,004
Somewhere in Florida
the low end 14" with upgraded power supply ($20) SMOKES any previous intel MBP at 2K. I think we all wanted the loaded GPUs at those intro prices but in reality that base unit is pretty damn good as is.

Do an apple trade in and you are rocking an incredible road warrior machine.
 

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
3,019
3,192
I think you will keep pro 16.
I have just ordered both too, and then cancelled max 32.
As developer I was just fine with m1 8gb, so pro 16gb will be already an incredible machine.
Max is for me a lot of marketing..
im not sure the max is marketing,it just doesnt target you ,nor developers in general,but more so videographers.u see,the max is basically gpu focused..which doesnt help that much for programming ( apart from compute but idk if the platform is good for such usage) .
besides,it also has double the media encoders,good for video again
 

PikachuEXE

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
38
12
wow so u did take 32 gb of ram...if so,i mean,even tho +2 cores might not help you right now,it may be good to have in like 4-5 years,u get me ?
Ya I am quite sure GPU doesn't do me much good but CPU core might
So for me it's "let's do it"
I do intend to keep it 5 years+ (and sell away old Intel MBP)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.