Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
hi veryone. I purchased a 2017 model back in February and since then have been a little annoying working with the mac.

My main use for the computer is Lr and PS. Previously I had a iMac 2017 maxed out. By geekbench and other benchmarks the new MBP is equal or better in performance than my old iMac but in real world is the opposite.

It’s very hot every time, fans at max, ram at 80-90%, super slow and some times unusable.

Recently I purchased a BenQ 32” 4K monitor and when working in PS the MBP is unusable. I recorded a screen video when I wasn’t able to just move a photo or resize it. The lag was very high.

I contacted apple and soon will be taking it to check.

It’s very frustrating, it’s my main work computer and I can’t believe a 2k + computer can’t even handle a decent 4K monitor or light edit some images in PS.

It’s someone having the same issues? Any recalls or MBP having issues?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When you next have the slowdowns, along with the fan kicking up, launch your Activity Monitor, and look at the memory. pressure graph. Green, or yellow, or even red?
Also, open the CPU tab, and sort by CPU usage. (Make sure that the settings show All Processes, and not just My Processes) What are the top 5 or so processes under %CPU ?

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
When you next have the slowdowns, along with the fan kicking up, launch your Activity Monitor, and look at the memory. pressure graph. Green, or yellow, or even red?
Also, open the CPU tab, and sort by CPU usage. (Make sure that the settings show All Processes, and not just My Processes) What are the top 5 or so processes under %CPU ?

Using now Premiere editing a 1 minute 1080p video the CPU goes up to 500%, the fans doesn't slowdown (5000+rpm) the temperature are 150F. and the memory is green and just using 50% of the 16gigs. The Mac lags a lot and the previews lags too. The previews are 1/2 the resolution. Its very annoying.
[doublepost=1526836292][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1526836766][/doublepost]https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nnylqauqvwr89r/Proof.mp4?dl=0

This is the video when I was editing in PS. Just trying to resize a photo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 12.54.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 12.54.11 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 180

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your video shows nothing. It plays, but the image is only a black screen, no image at all.

Your Activity Monitor shows high CPU usage with Premiere CC (as you can see for yourself), so it's not really surprising that your fans would kick up in some situations.

Is there any improvement for you if you try some editing immediately after a restart?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You're cramming a lot of power in a small chassis and you're asking it to do heavy work, it'll get hot and fans'll ramp up, that's the way laptops work. So that part of your issue isn't an issue, it's just a laptop being a laptop.

Which model is it, exactly?

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
hi veryone. I purchased a 2017 model back in February and since then have been a little annoying working with the mac.

My main use for the computer is Lr and PS. Previously I had a iMac 2017 maxed out. By geekbench and other benchmarks the new MBP is equal or better in performance than my old iMac but in real world is the opposite.

It’s very hot every time, fans at max, ram at 80-90%, super slow and some times unusable.

Recently I purchased a BenQ 32” 4K monitor and when working in PS the MBP is unusable. I recorded a screen video when I wasn’t able to just move a photo or resize it. The lag was very high.

It’s very frustrating, it’s my main work computer and I can’t believe a 2k + computer can’t even handle a decent 4K monitor or light edit some images in PS.

Might be poorly applied thermal paste...my 2012 mpb has been doing the same thing since Apple swapped out the logic board...I cleaned the gpu and cpu and put new paste on there and scaled back spotlight a bit and now there is no throttling and the fans don’t come on anymore unless I’m gaming or something.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013

Make sure you have the latest updates, one of the previous updates made me Mac run weird for 1-2 week period but a update solved it.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Your problem is that lightroom is that its a complete hog. Even the iMac pro isnt smooth with it. Ive used 10+k systems that arent smooth with 26mp raw files let alone 50mp.

The secret is it all depends on the screen resolution.

Think about it a 5k display is 14mp and 60fps if your using anything like a 26+mp raw files and your moving each slider the UI will be slow because its trying to shift 14 million pixels 60 times per second, the lag comes because it cant keep up. The other problem is the graphics card is no where near fast enough for these sort of things.

The only way to make it work adequately is to use a lower resolution screen. A 2k display like a 27" ACD it should work fine. In all honesty at 2ft at 27" I dont think you would notice a huge difference but workflow speed will probably double.

Just try it, unplug the monitor and use the built in 15" display which is 2k and see what the performance is like. Same file same adjustments. Will be far faster. I wanted to get a new mac after switching to dell workstations 2 years ago, took a TB3 SSD with Mac OS into the apple store with lightroom installed and my catalogue. The 15 and 13" were fine on their built in displays but the 5k iMac which I could only test the low end and the mid range i5 was slower than my 2010 mac pro, the iMac pro was quicker but not base line 5k quick. Still very stuttery.

There is also a few other things you could do to optimize lightroom. Make sure you make 1:1 previews on import, click on lightroom catalog settings and change the discard 1:1 previews to never, try reducing the standard preview size and the preview quality to medium.

Also try lightroom it with graphics processing on and off.

Other things you can try: Because your not editing actual pixels but it is continually updating metadata to show you a preview, certain tasks are much more performance hungry. Sharpening, noise reduction, lens corrections etc. If like many, you have these set as an import preset then its instantly going to be slow. Same can be said for dehaze... that a real hog too.

For example my mac pro in my sig, with GPU turned off dehaze is super quick but everything else is laggy with the GPU turned on everything is much smoother and quicker but dehaze is awful. Thankfully I rarely use it because I dont like the look. My mac pro is a back up machine now because its just painful to use daily.

The other option is to use Lightroom CC not classic. CC is the mobile friendly version which doesnt give you as much editing possibilities but has been written from the ground up and is far faster and has a desktop version.

Unfortunate all of CC is a hog and Apple is not offering hardware to get the best out of it. Not necessarily apples fault but CC runs better on NVIDIA cards and high clock speeds. 3.5ghz and above. Its normal to see 500+ percent, just changing the exposure in lightroom will jump the CPU usage up to 600+ on my mac pro hex core machine.

The other issue are that the laptops use low powered CPUs and with no dedicated GPU the CPU works a lot harder.

An iMac wont be much better either that 5k monitor has a lot to answer for.

Its difficult because apple doesnt sell a modern headless machine you can add your own display too so your stuck with the iMac if you want a powerful desktop from apple and the graphics cards 560-580 are still only mid range cards not high end so its not like you will see a huge huge performance increase.

For your video editing it would be a better idea to get final cut, its optimised for the mac and far far faster. You can edit 4k footage on a low end macbook no problem.

My dual xeon dell workstations with quadros minces all of the apple line up and its 18 months old. The quadro is as much as a low end iMac 5k, that the nice thing about a PC is you can build a machine specifically for your uses. Creatives are the main buyers of macs and CC runs so badly on them because you get what apple thinks you need. Its not really apples fault its adobes poor optimization. With no pro options from apple over the last 5 years worth considering, more pros have moved to windows and with select hardware it runs far better. You do have to put up with windows tho which isnt as bad as it sounds. As CC is cloud based the UI is exactly the same, same experience on a different platform. The OS for work isnt as important as it used to be, getting work done quickly is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishrrman

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Let's correct that. LR on Macs is slower. On Windows machines it flies. Especially with Nvidia GPUs. Same can be said for Premier.

Again it depends on the hardware. Generally quicker in windows but its definitely more buggy/crashy.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

LR is fast on my Windows 10 machine, 3+ year old process 4770K, 32 GB of memory, 512 Samsung 960 SSD, Nvidia 1070 and 1080ti. But I don't do multi-image HDR merges like the guy in the story.

Working with raw images from Canon 5D MK3 and MK4 is quite fast. And I have never experience a LR CC crash.

On my 2015 15" MBP my basic workflow is considerably slower.

Last edited:

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hi people! Thanks for your responses. Im aware that Adobe platform work slower in Mac than it does in Windows but I'm saying that my late 2013 iMac worked better and smoother than what this MBP does now. The only difference is that back then I had 32Gb of ram and now 16GB. Back then I leave all Apps open and now I quick them to make it room while editing. I currently have the base model 2017 one.

I still have the same gear as before editing 36mpx images from a Nikon 800E, same 1080p videos. The only new gear is a 4k drone but the clips I take with it are just few and always edit in 1080p timelines.

I see a little better response recently by scaling down the display as a 2k one in display preferences.

Right now it started to throttle again applying some curves in PS. The CPU went up to 120%+

I need a portable setup for my kind of workflow, I can't move back to a iMac or workstation. Do you guys think that upgrading to the next MPB with 32gb of ram and better specs could upgrade my experience in a portable machine? Even using eGPU could make it better?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi people! Thanks for your responses. Im aware that Adobe platform work slower in Mac than it does in Windows but I'm saying that my late 2013 iMac worked better and smoother than what this MBP does now. The only difference is that back then I had 32Gb of ram and now 16GB. Back then I leave all Apps open and now I quick them to make it room while editing. I currently have the base model 2017 one.

I still have the same gear as before editing 36mpx images from a Nikon 800E, same 1080p videos. The only new gear is a 4k drone but the clips I take with it are just few and always edit in 1080p timelines.

I see a little better response recently by scaling down the display as a 2k one in display preferences.

Right now it started to throttle again applying some curves in PS. The CPU went up to 120%+

I need a portable setup for my kind of workflow, I can't move back to a iMac or workstation. Do you guys think that upgrading to the next MPB with 32gb of ram and better specs could upgrade my experience in a portable machine? Even using eGPU could make it better?

My guess is the next MBP will not have a 32GB option. But, the CPU for the 15" may be a 6 core processor, which might help.

Reactions: gab0.1992

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Do you guys think that upgrading to the next MPB with 32gb of ram and better specs could upgrade my experience in a portable machine? Even using eGPU could make it better?

If you're asking specifically about LightRoom performance, there are several other threads you can find in the forums addressing that specifically. I brough up LightRoom's performance issues as an aside to this discussion so there's not much info here.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Hmm if anything the performance should have increased because of recent speed updates from adobe.

Sounds like there might be something going on from a software point of view. Have you got any plugins that start when you boot up the software?

I would suggest backing up the laptop and reinstalling OS HS from scratch and seeing if this improves anything.

Have you noticed any background programs that are taking up significant power?

If this doesnt resolve it then a trip to the apple store is the best bet. Although a mobile machine the 2017 from a hardware perspective is a powerful machine and shouldnt be slower than a 2013 iMac.

120% is not an issue and doesnt mean its throttling. If its a 4 core processor with hyperthreading it can show up to 800%. Because there are 4 cores with 4 virtual cores which can run up to 100% each. If you click on the processor tab and double click it will give you a graph with the performance of each core.

Ram I wouldnt expect to be an issue, lightroom doesn't use a great deal and the recent update allows machines with 12gb or over to perform better. TBH if your shooting 1080p footage it shouldnt tax too much depending on the codec your using and how long the videos are. It shouldn't be struggling.

Last edited:

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hmm if anything the performance should have increased because of recent speed updates from adobe.

Sounds like there might be something going on from a software point of view. Have you got any plugins that start when you boot up the software?

I would suggest backing up the laptop and reinstalling OS HS from scratch and seeing if this improves anything.

Have you noticed any background programs that are taking up significant power?

If this doesnt resolve it then a trip to the apple store is the best bet. Although a mobile machine the 2017 from a hardware perspective is a powerful machine and shouldnt be slower than a 2013 iMac.

120% is not an issue and doesnt mean its throttling. If its a 4 core processor with hyperthreading it can show up to 800%. Because there are 4 cores with 4 virtual cores which can run up to 100% each. If you click on the processor tab and double click it will give you a graph with the performance of each core.

Ram I wouldnt expect to be an issue, lightroom doesn't use a great deal and the recent update allows machines with 12gb or over to perform better. TBH if your shooting 1080p footage it shouldnt tax too much depending on the codec your using and how long the videos are. It shouldn't be struggling.

Thats what I mean. I know a laptop could be slower compared to a desktop, but not compared to a 2013 desktop. I will re install everything scratch and see how work it out.

Thanks people!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.