MBP 15 '11 Thermal Paste App.- great results but a little worried

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibebyi, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ibebyi macrumors member

Hello,

I opened up my 15" MBP '11 2.2ghz and replaced the thermal paste between the GPU/CPU and the heatsink.

I had just removed the battery cable from the logic board & noticed that I didn't have my ESD wristband on.

I FREAKED OUT. I quickly put it on and resumed the reapplication process. While removing one of the screws that held down the logic board to the unibody, I sort of flinched and the screw rolled about a cm over the logic board. Sort of freaked out again.

On first boot I got a message saying the clock was set to a date before something 2008 (don't remember exactly).

Read online I could solve this by resetting NVRAM/PRAM, and did so.

Since then I haven't run into any problems, but am afraid that I may have inadvertently damaged my logic board.

Can anyone chime in? First thing I did after removing the backplate was remove the battery cable.

Thanks! :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you disconnect the battery, the RAM that stores the time and date is erased (since there is no power to hold the data).

In the old days where Macs had removable batteries, there was an auxiliary battery to power this memory, but with the advent of non-user serviceable batteries, to cut costs, the main battery powers the memory that stores the date and time.

This is nothing to be concerned about.

3. ibebyi thread starter macrumors member

Great. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Much appreciated :)

4. schaibaa macrumors newbie

lol, that's funny. You don't need to wear any wristbands when working on your computer.