MBP 15 2.3 + 16gb of RAM or multiple desktops

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aloshka, Oct 3, 2011.

1. aloshka macrumors 65816

I have a macbook pro 15 2.3 w/16gb of ram. I have 5-6 parallels vm running at a time because I deal 100% with windows at my job. The problem is while working, or backing up the laptop, etc, it runs at 90* C and fans run at 6k RPM's. After reading about this, it seems quite normal when the laptop is under load and apparently i keep it under load, quite often.

So my question, I have a few days to return the laptop, memory, and external monitor. Should I, or would you replace it with a desktop instead (the company is willing to pay for a nice HP one instead) and just lug around an external SSD with all the VM's?

I already have an iPad, and rarely use the laptop as a laptop. But I do work in 3-4 places, all of which I control the environment by either having a desktop or having a 27" thunderbolt.

Any advice is helpful!

2. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

Hi, i would say keep the MBP and use the Ex-HD. Any Mac is better than a windows pc... but would you be able to keep the MBP and get another Windows based Pc?

3. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey thanks for the reply. The MBP would work fine, outside of the fan noise, unless it gets damaged working on such high temps for a long time.

And no, it's cost-prohibitive to have both.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you run all windows stuff and don't use it as a laptop at all, I'd say it would be significantly more economical to just get desktops that are more powerful and cheaper and quieter.

5. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I'd return it and get a new iMac. You get more performance per dollar. Just keep in mind that you can't replace the drives or the fans will run at 100%. It'll also work with any 27" display.

I work IT and our employees run VHDs and multiple environments. They need to be portable so we spend tons of money to get them the latest and greatest. A desktop could be had for half that.

6. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm a developer and I do the same thing. So I don't care so much that I'm on a mac, since 100% of my work is in multiple VM's. I run Parallels and find the hypervisor very efficient and nice. I also love VMWare Workstation so that works too if it's the windows version.

iMac might actually work, but I'd need two of them then. One for home office, one for work office, and other clients don't matter as much (aka on-site days are all about meetings and never about any work). But I want SSD's (after you get used to them, you can't go back to normal HDD). So this makes iMac VERY pricey and two of them makes it even more expensive.

I already have a custom built PC at home i7-2600k, 16gb, etc etc. So if I go the PC route, I only need to buy 1 more PC and just carry around a drive.

I'm just wondering, for those that work in home/office environment in your company, how do you handle those people? Laptop?

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Have you thought about upgrading to an SSD for your laptop? Not only would it produce better battery life and performance, but it would produce less heat.

Than again I'm pretty sure the processor produces way more heat. I personally have yet to try it, i really want an SSD however. So if you have the stuff maybe you should try it.

I like having my MBP for everything i need it to do, I can do work at home, work, school, since my MBP is my powerhouse, but thats just me personally.

A desktop can be more powerful and cheaper than a high end laptop however. So its pretty hard there. Hopefully you figure something out, but if you do try the SSD route, let me know how it goes!

8. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

So I do have an SSD on the laptop. It actually causes it to heat up more because not he processor video card don't have to wait for the drive anymore so things are much faster, but run much hotter. Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking I'm leaning more towards dual pcs.

9. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Well we have no one who works at home but for those employees who are mobile sometimes and need power we give out Dell E6520. Pretty much a MBP but we include 16GB of RAM and a intel ssd.

I'd look into getting a Dell Precision if I were you. Powerhouse laptops. We're looking into them ourselves.

Also Dell next day business warranty has been awesome as they'll overnight any parts and have a tech come out if necessary the next day.

Keep in mind that some noise is going to be expected from a laptop being pushed.

10. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Wow I am impressed $1000 of ram! The price you paid for the laptop and Ram you could have had TWO IMACs! One for work and one for home.

11. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

16gb of ram is minimum for all the solutions, although technically you are right.

I'm thinking going to sell off MacBook pro the ram and the thunerbolt displays and just build a custom pc, dual 30's, gtx 580 to power them, or perhaps 6990.