MBP 15" 2012 - Any word on heat & fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reimer, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

To those who have picked up a new non-retina 15" MBP, I was wondering if you've noticed any differences in heat and fan noise compared to the 2011 MBP.

I'm not worried about it getting warm to the touch every once in a while but fan noise would be something I'd like to keep to a minimum. The R-MBP would be the obvious choice with the new fan system and all but I'm still debating between the two.

Thanks

2. Arni99 macrumors regular

In this German review the RETINA MBP seems to generate 43dB and 5 sone whilst gaming Diablo 3.
    http://www.chip.de/news/MacBook-Pro-Livetest-Retina-Ivy-Kepler-im-Check_56253648.html

I guess heavy encoding/gaming and a silent macbook pro (retina) won't happen anytime soon.

I am waiting for the next iMac as I do lotsa video encoding every day and can't stand my macbook pro's fans anylonger haha!

ASUS seems to have the knowledge with its gaming notebooks combined with silent fans, although the ASUS notebooks are almost twice the weight of the MBP(R) where its easier to implement a good cooling system with plenty of space available inside the device.

3. jim468 macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. It's interesting!