MBP 15" Core i5 or i7 - Battery Life in Windows 7 with Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adaptive, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Adaptive macrumors newbie

I've searched the forums and I can't find an explicit answer from anyone who has tried this, but what is the rough estimate on battery life in Boot Camp? I know Optimus doesn't work and it's dedicated only, so I really need to know. Thanks!

2. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I did Word in MS Office for 6.5 hours on my i7 15" on boot camp/WIN7 Ultimate. Laptop still indicated 30% power remaining.

Laptop was hardly even warm but then again Word in Office is hardly a CPU hog. Screen and keyboard was at half brightness and WiFi was off. I would normally run the charger but just wanted to see how it would do. Was very happy.

MUCH LESS heat than my older C2D 2.8Mhz. Less heat is good!

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

With my Late-2008 MacBook Pro, I get 2.5 to 3 hours in Windows max. Taking into consideration that the new MacBook Pro's are more energy efficient and add a higher capacity battery, I don't see why you wouldn't get at least 3-4 hours if not more. If you ask me, that's pretty damn good.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That sounds like 9h under Windows 7. Seriously.
    What does it show as an estimate when you idle under Windows after unplugging when the battery is fully charged?
    The reports that only the dedicated GPU works are wrong if your numbers are true. Would be weird anyway because after all Windows supports both GPUs and the switching even if it is not automatic but you have to do it by hand.

I'd like to hear from someone else if everybody gets the same results. Also I'd like to know how much of a difference in estimated time is there if you switch from 50% to 100% brightness?
    Outdoors the 100% brightness numbers matter, and everybody is posting runtimes at 50%.

5. Adaptive thread starter macrumors newbie

9 hours sounds really impressive. Can anyone verify this?

6. Adaptive thread starter macrumors newbie

One more bump--I really would like to know this before I order.