MBP 15" , does it worth it to pay for a antiglare hi resolution or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arash15, Jun 29, 2010.

1. arash15 macrumors newbie

hello

i want to order my mbp 15" i5 2.4 and i am curious to know if it worth it to get a antiglare hi resolution screen or not !

2. Beefy macrumors member

A lot of it is going to depend on what you're using the computer for as well as personal preference. Do you have an Apple store you can go to? You're best bet is going to be checking them out for yourself. Just my .02 :)

3. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, antiglare is up to you, but I'd definitely get the hi-res screen either way.

4. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

i checked out both and then decided to go with the base model i5 with standard res glossy screen. I didn't like the smaller text on the high res screen and I use my 24" dell for my photography work if I need accurate color reproduction. I noticed that the glossy screen adds contrast to the photos. The glossy screen reflects in some situations. There are some videos on youtube that compare them side by side.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Definitely! Test it in the Apple Store...it is nice!

6. devils punchbow macrumors member

Yes. Nice. Rocks. AG + HR = beautiful display
    Your not looking through a window with AG, and text very nice looking on HR.

7. macatak911 macrumors regular

Just got the 15" hi res anti glare. Now that it finally came in I am 100% happy with it. Using my sister's 13" glossy is horrible in comparison.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Love my hi-res AG 15". Coming from a 13" glossy MacBook with 1280x800 resolution it is a world of difference. Everything is sharper and there's so much real estate to move windows around. The antiglare is also great; i'm not constantly adjusting my screen to avoid reflections when i bring it to coffee shops/book stores. It also isn't a dirt/dust/fingerprint/grease magnet like my old glossy screen was.

9. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I got the 15" with the standard glossy screen. I was upgrading from a glossy macbook, and the extra size by itself made a big difference. I stuck with the standard screen because 1) I don't want to strain my eyes with the smaller text, and 2) I like the saturation/contrast of the glossy (plus my external monitor is glossy).

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Glossy vs anti-glare is a personal choice but high resolution is a different beast that you should definitely go to a store and see for yourself. I absolutely hate high res because of tiny fonts that make my eyes physically hurt. Also, as a photographer I hate reviewing smaller web-sized images. It is personal preference so what works for one person may not work for another but if you have old eyes you really should forget about trying to read tiny fonts.

11. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

IMO - It depends on how often you plan on using design products such Photoshop, Dreamweaver, or Illustrator AND how often you plan on using it at home.

If you are going to be using it in places other than your home frequently and plan on using design software, then it is definitely worth the HR/AG upgrade.

However, even if you plan on using design software but are going to be using the laptop at home most of the time then I would highly recommend getting the standard screen and spending the money on a 24" 1080p monitor instead. An external monitor will give you much more screen real estate for the same amount of money.

I work in web/graphic design and chose to go with the external monitor. I couldn't be happier with my setup.

12. mox123 macrumors 6502

high-res all the way. I have extremely bad eyesights, yet i don't understand why people complain about the high res hurting their eyes.

i heavily depend on my MBP for work (MATLAB and Mathematica coding, adobe dreamweaver, illustrator, photoshop, etc..)

13. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I regret not forking over another $50 for the antiglare.

14. deus ex machina macrumors regular

+1

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Same here, I just got my 15" Hi-Res antiglare. Love it, no regrets. Came from a 13" MBP with the glossy. I won't buy another glossy Mac if Apple gives us both options. :)

16. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

There's nothing that's been said here that hasn't been repeated dozens of times in the hundreds of threads on this topic. Please use search for these common questions.

17. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I have a hi res anti-glare, and I love it. I would not go with anything else! My best advice to you though would be to go check out the different screens in the Apple store. You'll be able to tell which is best for you.

18. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

If ya got the money, go for it. AG + HR is simply beautiful, from what I have seen.

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Do you notice much difference in font size? Is the font size much smaller than the 13"?

20. arash15 thread starter macrumors newbie

sb said: anti glare is good for those in photo profession but colors in glassy are nicer