MBP 15: i5 2.53ghz vs i7 2.66ghz VIDEO EDITING

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adriian, Jun 14, 2010.

1. adriian macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm after a Macbook Pro and I'm quite confused whether to get either a i5 2.53ghz or a i7 2.66ghz. It's my first year in uni and I want a Mac as it is better for video editing using FCP and Photoshop. I'm not a gaming person so that's not a concern.

My friend is offering me his C2D 2.8ghz but I don't think it's worth it, how much faster is the NEW MBP i5 and i7 compared to C2D? Would the video card be a major concern with video editing? If so I might go with the i7 but then I hear the i7 is only 10% faster than the i5? Doesn't seem that much worth it for the pricing IMO.

Also: I will be using my External Hard Drive whilst video editing using Fireware 800, is this recommended?

Hope I can get your honest opinions,

Thanks guys.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i7 is ~38% faster than 2.8GHz C2D so for what price is he selling it? I would get 2.4GHz i5 as the difference between it and i7 is only 10% in CPU intensive tasks. Of course that 10% is 10% when you are doing e.g. final rendering with FCP but is it worth 400$ for you? For that money, you can get several externals and even SSD

3. adriian thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure about his price yet, he just told me his selling it online and if I wanted it he could offer me something. 10% increase for $400 doesn't seem worth it but I don't know.. I'm still quite confused whether I should get the i5 and i7.

4. moel macrumors 6502

I went for the i7 2.66, for two reasons

Firstly always get the best you can afford

Secondly, we don't know whats coming as regards to FCP, which is currently still 32 bit. When it's 64 bit, the difference between the two machines will be higher, plus they may well go a bit crazy and find a way of utilizing the higher amount of VRAM in the graphics card...however equally they may not.

5. adriian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Anyone else?
    Or whether someone can link me to i5 vs i7 threads for video editing/rendering and such?

Thanks.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0-l37pgqa0

Nice vid with some encoding benches