MBP 15 inch High res vs Anti Glare situation when external monitors are possible...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abond2014, Jul 23, 2011.

1. abond2014 macrumors member

abond2014

hey guys,

Well i am buying my 2011 macbook pro soon! YA!!!!!

anyways i am getting the high end model 15 inch but i am trying to decide whether i want the high res or Ag, and this is why...

I think the antiglare would be right for me because when i am home the computer will be hooked up to an external monitor. And when it is not hooked to an external monitor it will be out and about in not so perfectly glare free conditions.

my problem is do you guys think the AG screen looks bad compared to the High res, but i think its good if i am traveling so i am not totally sure, i have been in the apple store and looked at both although the apple store doesnt quite have the best lighting to try to decide. So what is your opinion?

And i was wondering how does this external monitor sound? I was thinking about getting an ACER 23inch led monitor it has 2ms refresh rate.

is this a nice monitor? which monitors do you guys like besides the apple cinema display.:D

thanks for the help -Austin

2. ABadSanta macrumors regular

So is this a question of anti glare vs. glossy?

I chose the anti-glare because i didn't want glare from lamps and other light sources, and I can also use my computer at about 30% brightness, which saves battery life and is easy on my eyes.

3. abond2014 thread starter macrumors member

abond2014

you have a really good point. Does the anti glare look bad while you are using it though colors wise?

4. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Not at all. The colors look, to be honest, amazing, and I think what helps is the high-resolution screen.

Many people choose the glossy because colors seem a bit more vibrant because of the shine of the glossy glass over the display (like on the iPhone, for example).

It's definitely just a decision of personal preference. However, I definitely think it's worth an upgrade because I can get 4-5 hours of battery life with the screen brightness low. With the glossy screen, I would have to increase it so that the glare from lamps in my home doesn't prove distracting (i would know, because all of my friends with Macs have the glossy display).

5. abond2014 thread starter macrumors member

abond2014

Well i love the look of the silver bezel, what external monitor should i get or does the one i am looking at sound good

6. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I bought an Acer 22in monitor for my desktop in 2007, and it is still gong strong for me (although I use it less now). New ones should be good.

If it's in your price range, check out Samsung monitors. The picture quality is arguably better than Acer's, although you can't go wrong with Acer monitors.