MBP 15" with apples stock antiglare or with an external antiglare film?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dangly, Aug 20, 2009.

1. dangly macrumors newbie

Hey

I am going to buy a top end 15" MBP for uni.

I am not a fan of the silver bezel on the antiglare screens from apple.

Has anyone made a comparison between one with apples antiglare screens and a glossy screen with a custom antiglare film?

What are your opinions?

Apple Antiglare or Custom Antiglare film?

Thanks

2. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

There's pretty much no comparison. If you do some searching around here you can find some pictures. The anti-glare film makes the screen blurrier and I believe it introduces a kind of "speckled" effect to whites. It is not a proper substitute for a true matte (anti-glare) screen.

3. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Go into an apple store and look at the matte properly. It is not uglier!!

4. oacory macrumors regular

Stock

Definitely stock. Anti-glare film is a pain in the neck to put on right and even when you spend major time putting it on it still has air pockets and it does match up with the screen and a whole bunch of hassles including it makes the screen not clear. Bottomline.. it does more harm then good when anti-glare film is added

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I think the glossy MBP looks much better then the matte screen, I think a antiglare film would look butt ugly. I've not seen too many films being applied w/o any bubbles or anything.

I'd say go with the matte screen if you don't want the glossy display - don't try any kludgy solution. It just won't work as well and it will look awful.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Not necessarily. I put the Moshi film on my MBP and it was easy to apply and applied perfectly. More harm than good? Hardly. However, I would still take a factory matte MBP over a film any day of the week.

7. emcham macrumors member

the films wash out the screen and make it a bit blurred looking. there is no comparison.

8. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mess with a film as you are probably going to be more driven nuts by the air bubbles and dust you get stuck under it, not to mention not as good of image quality as a matte screen.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah - get the actual matte display rather than using the film.

Remember, the anti-glare film is sitting on top of the glass rather than the actual screen..