MBP 17 good enough for serious PP of images?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukester, Dec 2, 2009.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I have a 3 year old MB pro 15 that I use now and love it of course. I use it to do PP but have some problems with consistent color, but also use it to run my 20" CRT.
    I am thinking about the new 17" they have a new screen with anti glare as an option and higher resolution.
    I am also entertaing the idea of getting a 27" Imac but I like the portablility of the MBP.
    Any ideas?
    Also what is a used 3 year old MBP with new 320 gig HD, 3 gig Mem worth?

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I love my 17" MacBook Pro! I take mine everywhere! I got mine with the anti-glare display. The display is so much better than any previous MacBook Pro or Powerbook.

We have a person here at work with the new 15" anti-glare model. Its screen is equally as good, albeit smaller and less resolution than the 17-incher.

I have toyed with downsizing to a 15" but the 17's high resolution screen is hard to pass up after you have used it for awhile. If only the 15 upped its native resolution. But I digress.

It looks as though Apple will be coming out with new models in the next month or two so we'll see if Apple continues the trend set with the new iMacs of standardizing on the 16:9 aspect ratio.

I'd say the 3-year-old MacBook Pro would probably fetch ~$800.

3. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

concerning color management?

I calibrate my 15" laptop but many times I don't get it right.

Is the new 17" much better for critical color correction?
    Or would the Imac be better.

I just prefer to have one computer and the laptop really can substitute for a desktop.

4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

The iMac's display is IPS; so it's superior to the MacBook Pro's. The MacBook Pro has a great display for a notebook...the iMac has an even better display.