MBP 17" I7-will running 30" ACD tax or add heat to system?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejosepha, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I have the new MBP with I7, 4GB RAM, with GT 330M 512 video chip. Will running the 30" Apple display off this machine add much heat or tax the system at all. I know with my old Macbook Air or Mini this was a bit heavy for these lighter graphic systems. For example, will the fans ramp up just because I have attached this display in normal use? I work in a quiet environment so would prefer to keep it that way. I know that Apple advertises using all Macbook Pros with external displays, including the 27". I would prefer the anti-glare of the 23 or 30".
    thanks for any comments

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

of course it will, your adding twice as many pixels, that the gfx has to calculate. no meaning there will be any performance decrease at all though

I play wow on one screen, watch a 1080p movie on the other, and use the rest of my machines power to encode videos. all lagg free, but runs very hot ;)

3. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

My Alu MacBook doesn't show any signs of strain when playing 1080p video from web with 27" ACD attached. I think apple have very clever display processing

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I have the same 17" i7 MBP running it's own and a SAMSUNG T260HD 1920X1200 resolution external display as I type. It's awesome to have lots of space to work with, but it surely warms the top left corner of the MBP when I watch 1080P video on the external display. It's relatively cool on a single display doing the same. So I can really see the difference when I hook up the monitor. I've never had the fans crank up with the setup, and I never get any graphics twitches or anything. So it works well, but undoubtedly adds some work for the MacBook.

5. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

For general internet surfing or other light processing, will the 30" display cause more heat, or just when encoding video or watching HD video on the larger display?

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Might feel a tiny bit warmer, but not much. Will warm with more graphically intensive processing, such as YouTube while internet surfing. The more you do the more it warms... You probably won't notice a difference until you do something intensive.